OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choosing wood?

Started by Franklin7x57, November 27, 2022, 06:19:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Franklin7x57

How are you choosing your wood or combos of wood on your scratch box or box calls in general? Everyone seems to agree that X turkey callmaker would not let a call out of their shop if they weren't happy with it. So are you looking for something you haven't tried or "pretty" wood?

callmakerman

I hunt the scratch boxes that I make. I really don't worry much about the look of a call as the sound is the most important thing. I'll choose woods for the sound board that I know will give me the sound I'm looking for. Cedar, walnut, holly, maple and persimmon are a few that I use the most for my sound boards. Striker is also a very important part of the formula. Length, thickness, width and wood type or slate all are a part of the sound you will get from any scratch box. I usually carry at least three strikers with me and as many scratch boxes when I hunt. Ebony and slate in two sizes are my favorite strikers to use on my calls.  In saying pretty wood I'll say this. It will work and look great for the box-sound chamber, but I avoid them when it comes to sound boards. Usually the pretty wood like ebony, snakewood wood or even highly figured walnut or maple will usually bring the pitch up too much for me and or squeak a good bit when running them.

Tarheel

For the soundboard, I would add applewood and dogwood to the list.....

turkey stew

How about adding limba and butternut to the soundboard list.