Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

TSS ammo, are there any states that have restrictions ?

Started by topnotch, November 25, 2022, 09:50:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

topnotch

Planning to hunt several states in May 2023 if the good Lord allows.
Have 2nd hand info some states have restrictions on TSS.
If so has anyone compiled a list ?

Dtrkyman

I had seen a list in the past, however it is constantly changing and very few states do not allow number 9 shot.

Likely have to check each state individually and some may hve changed from last year to this coming season, pretty sure NY has just changed?

Iowa still had a shot size restriction of 4-8 last year, not sure if it has changed?

I loaded some 7.5 just for that purpose.

BBR12

if you are planning to hunt multiple state you need to go search through all of their hunting digest. I personally print them all off and put them in a binder. I will also go throgh them and put any info I might need on a one page word document for quick reference as I move state to state. Ie. hunting hours, any specific rule to shot size etc.  Its just too easy to forget something when tired and travelling.
What ever you do don't go off what you read anywhere except the states official stuff. Even that can change from day to day. As an example we were hunting several states last year and when we got to one we couldnt buy a license because they had changed the way you had to submit your hunters ed. We were doing it the way their website said to do it but it had to be done online and that was no where in the regs..

zelmo1

BBR 12 is spot on. Check each state individually and buy your license as early as possible. Glitches do happen and usually not in your favor. Z

turkeyfool

I'm not advocating for rule breaking, but I'll be honest, I'm using whatever I think gives me the best chance at an ethical kill and not letting one get away

topnotch

Good idea BBR 12, making a workbook with requlation listed.last year I learned a valuable lesson on interpretation of information in SD. This day a time we rely on electronic info online way too much.
I've been call wildlife agencies in different states. But a print out is a great idea to pencil in notes.

Dtrkyman

If I have concerns about any game laws I get in contact with a local warden, generally very helpful and may even get some good intel!

Spurs

Quote from: turkeyfool on November 28, 2022, 10:11:51 AM
I'm not advocating for rule breaking, but I'll be honest, I'm using whatever I think gives me the best chance at an ethical kill and not letting one get away

I know a guy  ;) that does the same exact thing.  His thoughts are that he will abide every law in the books, except that one.  He doesn't remember exactly what state it was that only allowed #2-#6, but it seemed like it was a mid western state.  Now this was several years back and that law could have changed in more recent years.
This year is going to suck!!!

silent tom

A "9" written on a hand loaded shotgun shell may as well be a "6".

I'm not advocating for breaking the law, but common sense has to be applied at some point.

deathfoot

Quote from: Dtrkyman on November 26, 2022, 08:28:46 PM

Iowa still had a shot size restriction of 4-8 last year, not sure if it has changed?

Luckily iowa changed this year to allow "no smaller than 10 shot".

Most states are learning. Lol