OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Storage room humidity  (Read 2768 times)

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Storage room humidity
« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2022, 10:47:19 AM »
Some wood will crack no mater what you do, just takes time.

I had a Snakewood trumpet crack on me. I don't think it had to do with humidity but mabye, evidently that species of wood is more prone to cracking I learned. I'd be interested in knowing if other species are know to crack or split also, as I'd like to avoid those in the future.
This is why I do not have anything made of it other than a striker.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
  I have several calls made from snakewood and I've never had a problem with them. I'm sure they are exceptions and this can include other types of woods doing the same cracking etc. But for myself i wouldn't disregard snakewood for thinking it's always going to crack or whatever if i like the call and how it sounds.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2022, 05:13:15 PM »
I have several calls made from snakewood and I've never had a problem with them. I'm sure they are exceptions and this can include other types of woods doing the same cracking etc. But for myself i wouldn't disregard snakewood for thinking it's always going to crack or whatever if i like the call and how it sounds.
With Snakewood it's not a matter of if, it's when. There's no way around it. Many call makers have refused to continue using it, because all it has done is cause headache's with repairs and issues, pot calls in particular. They pop the surfaces and or the pot cracks as well. You might not have had one crack yet, but over time they will. Even maintaining constant ambient humidity throughout the year such as using a humidifier during the winter months while the furnace is running won't completely resolve the issues. Just a fact of the matter.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2022, 05:55:16 PM »
With Snakewood it's not a matter of if, it's when. There's no way around it. Many call makers have refused to continue using it, because all it has done is cause headache's with repairs and issues, pot calls in particular. They pop the surfaces and or the pot cracks as well. You might not have had one crack yet, but over time they will. Even maintaining constant ambient humidity throughout the year such as using a humidifier during the winter months while the furnace is running won't completely resolve the issues. Just a fact of the matter.
Sorry to hear, that you had so many problems with snakewood ...  I have a bunch of pot calls and have never lost one including snakewood. I guess i'm just lucky ...  but i agree anything is possible and can happen to calls ...

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: December 06, 2022, 09:12:48 PM »
I meant to post this the other day but I was driving when I saw this thread and forgot about it by the time I got home. There are dry cabinets that are used for photography equipment that may very well work for this and they are available in a number of sizes and prices. Here is a picture and a link to one, they have many others. Hope this is useful.
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1348544-REG/ruggard_edc_50l_electronic_dry_cabinet_50l.html

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline randywallace

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2022, 01:38:37 PM »
Mine go in a cigar humidor after the season until the next year.  Same for box callers.  No problems and they smell great for a week or so once brought out.