OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Help with first pot call

Started by wmn2, November 15, 2022, 10:54:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wmn2

Hi, I made my first pot call out of sycamore with glass over acrylic. The glass is half bead blasted and for the life of my I can not get the call to play. 3.5 surface with 3" sound board. The pot is 7/8 thick, with the sides and bottom at 1/4 thick. My acrylic sound board is 1/8 beneath the bottom of the glass. I have used a hickory mushroom end and a bocote regular striker and the call just squeaks when I'm trying to get it to call. Is there any recommendation anyone would have for helping me out? I love the pot and would really like to give this one to my dad for next season, but obviously not with how it sounds. I can't get a Turkey sound out of it. Thanks in advance for any help. I don't have a picture of the interior of the call, but figured I'd post this one to make sure my sound hole layout looks good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

outdoors

Everything in the pot and the thickness of the pot.
Makes a difference ,  keep notes
Nice looking peice of wood
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Sir-diealot

There are those here that know far more than I do, but I would not think of either of those strikers on glass, I would think tulipwood, Macassar Ebony, Purple Heart or dymondwood*. Again I only think I know everything, hopefully others will correct me. Gorgeous pot though.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

M,Yingling

how much room around surface and sound board ,,, check your glue up
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

ol bob

Reduce the size of the holes in the back to 5/16, move the sound board to about .090 from the glass, also I think a glass sound board would work better. Just a starting point. They will drive you crazy for a while, until you find out what changing one little thing will do.

wmn2

Thanks for the tips. I'll check all these items when I get the time this weekend. I really appreciate the help!

mmclain

Make sure the pot hasn't cupped.   If you turned it all in one shot.  It's probably cupped. 

wmn2

I'm not 100% sure what you mean by cupped. Could you explain that for me?

mastevt

try increasing the diameter of your pedestal.  I have found on a couple pots where they were really squeaky, that when I took it apart and re did the pedestal to a larger diameter, and that fixed them.  I also agree with degreasing your sound holes to 5/16.

Good luck.

mmclain

Quote from: wmn2 on November 19, 2022, 09:13:52 AM
I'm not 100% sure what you mean by cupped. Could you explain that for me?

When you turn a piece of wood.  It will bow slightly across the grain.   Double turning and if necessary triple turning relieves this issue. Quarter sawn wood cups less but it will still move slightly.   Core out 80% of the material inside the call and all you can possibly remove from the outside.  Throw it in a box and let it sit in a dry location for at least a week if you've have a wood stove it won't take but a cooler of days to draw up.  Then proceed finish turning. Let it sit and make sure it's not moved anymore. 

moyehow

A good glue joint, the distance the sound board is from the playing surface, thickness of the call sides and bottoms all play a part in a good pot.   It's a lot of trial and error.  Also different types of woods make a difference.   Quarter sawn wood will not cup and is best.