OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Getting that itch  (Read 1405 times)

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
Getting that itch
« on: November 14, 2022, 10:24:59 AM »
November 14, saw 2 strutters this morning. 37 degrees and windy, ok I give up. Whats the punch line, lol

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Getting that itch
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2022, 10:47:54 AM »
Saw 5 gobblers last week together while deer hunting , i enjoyed watching them more than the deer... LOL...

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2022, 12:06:23 PM »
I keep the itch year round but seeing them out while deer hunting really gets the juices flowing. 
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline jhoward11

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2022, 12:56:18 PM »
Don't know the punch line, but That's a good one!!! Heard a gobble opening morning and had a bearded hen came through. Come on spring!!!

Offline 310 gauge

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2022, 04:19:30 PM »
Only been deer hunting twice because of back issues and saw shooter Toms both times. In Eastern North Carolina, deer hunting is pretty much equivalent to hunting Jakes all season long anyway. Seeing beards swaying was the highlight of my efforts. My appointment with the Neurosurgeon on the 30th may foretell my Spring hunting also...

Offline Boykin Hollow

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2022, 05:22:32 AM »
On Nov 14th, yesterday morning I had one gobble 6 times before flying down.  I knew it was going to be a good day and at 8:30 I bagged a nice eight pointer with a 17 1/4 inside spread. 

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2022, 07:14:34 AM »
I saw this flock the other day while out trapping, saw another a little larger the week before that, each in separate counties. Edit: found picture of fist flock, not very good though, had the speed set wrong on the camera.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2022, 03:11:58 PM »
Spring can't get here fast enough.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline shallowskiff

« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2022, 03:53:21 PM »
Spring can't get here fast enough.

Nice picture.  I got my butt kicked last spring and could not even watch any Youtube videos about turkey hunting until last night.
Got the calls out this morning. I guess it is time to start losing my mind. lol

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2022, 08:57:32 PM »
I had a flock pass by my treestand this morning.  First time I've seen birds in this area and I've hunted it for over 10years.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2022, 02:09:45 AM »
     I currently  feed 11 Wild Turkeys
 I am the last house on a Dead End Road. We had Snow up here in New York last night. That Flock will be Cold and Hungry tomorrow  morning.
   No Hunting down here past my Dead End. Just giving back around 11 years now with the Birdseed.

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2022, 06:30:53 AM »
A Turkey hunters itch never goes away, thank god it’s not fatal…. :turkey2:
“Solo hunter”

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2022, 08:35:51 AM »
Always have the itch, just can't scratch it yet!
5 months and counting!

Offline Kygobblergetter

« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2022, 06:41:53 PM »
I’ve been having the itch. Had 6 longbeards walk by the other morning and then called in a flock of 8 hens that evening when bow hunting. I don’t shoot them in the fall but they sure are fun to watch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2022, 12:13:59 PM »
 Let me start by saying I am not much of a deer hunter, we do like deer meat so I do try and get some meat every year. Tuesday I went beside my house to a newly cut corn field to watch for some action. I seen a two deer in the AM, one being a very tasty looking spike, I didn't shoot him. Later here came 22 turkeys, hens, Jennies and Jakes. Later, 4 LB's came to the field then 7 more deer right at dark. Yeah, the spike was there taunting me but I didn't give in to him.

That evening I could hear a couple turkeys fly up towards the north end of the corn field. I kind of figured it to be the LB's. The next morning I resumed my watch at the same location. Right at gray light I started seeing deer in the fields below me. One of the larger deer walks all the way across the field to another larger deer. This larger deer lowers his head and rams him. Even though I am not a deer hunter I figure I should shoot this larger, aggressive, nasty deer! He is not nice.

I shoot and the deer just stands there, well, being a turkey hunter, I give him another. This time all the deer in the field run except for the mean one. He looks stiff as a board standing there. At this time I am pretty confident in my shot, even though it was long for me but I did have a good rest. Both times!

The deer ambles slower out into the middle of the field and lays down, I am not happy with myself at this point because I am thinking I put a big fast bullet right through his guts! I hate that.

I drive around the field from where I am to get closer to see what is going on, confident the deer is done. I stop and get out and the turkeys are everywhere in the trees. They are calling in every fashion known to man and boy. I stood there for a bit and then remembered the deer... I get out the bino's and see he still is not done so I figure I better give him a finish to this ordeal. At the report of the rifle turkeys scattered to high heaven, it was awesome. I drove over, hitched the deer to the truck and drug him to the edge of the field where I removed his guts. "Didn't want to leave them in the middle of the field" owner lets me do whatever I want here and don't want that hurt.

Turkeys are calling raising cane at this point, I go home. Home happens to be 300 yards from where I loaded the deer. I get to the house after the long drive and figure lets hang this deer. Turkeys were calling the whole time I am hanging the deer. I go in and get breakfast, come back out turkeys are still calling. Now, the gobblers are joining in. They were gobbling good, getting it done! I listened to those turkeys for over two hours yesterday from 7-930AM. It was quite the show!

Its to cold for me to get the itch and my mother told me long ago to not wish my days away. Spring will be here soon enough, then I will scratch the itch!
BTW, one of the first two shots missed, the hit was just beside the heart in front of the diaphragm, it didn't really hit anything. I guess it was just enough to make him not feel like getting out of there? His heart and lungs were bruised up but no holes.