OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: First Decent Looking Handholds  (Read 600 times)

Offline btodd00

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
First Decent Looking Handholds
« on: February 22, 2023, 11:50:42 AM »
I have been hand loading my 410 TSS for a little over a year now. I have never made a shell that looked decent but they all shot fine out of my Stevens 301's. Recently I purchased a mossberg 500 in 410, my ugly handholds wouldn't cycle correctly though it even though they load and eject fine from Stevens. From what I could tell, it was either the brass not being properly resized or I had a slight swell at the roll crimp from trying to cram them without a drill press but im not an expert. I finally purchased a hull vise, drill press and got some brand new hulls and my loads look much much better and cycle perfectly. The roll crimps still dont look as good as a factory, im using a precision reloading roll crimper. Does anyone know which roll crimper makes the cleanest crimp? a few people have told me Gaep is the way to go but ive never tried one

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
Re: First Decent Looking Handholds
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2023, 03:07:14 PM »
Those look good!
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline DocHolliday

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2023, 03:58:01 PM »
Those look good for a PR crimper. I find the GAEP easier to get pretty crimps with.

You might try trimming your hulls so that you don’t have as much excess plastic in your crimp to deal with. I think that will tighten it up nicely. You’ve got a good start on it!

Offline Ranger6

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2023, 09:51:42 PM »
Those look pretty good, but if you want pretty rolls then buy a gaep and be done.

Offline btodd00

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2023, 07:54:46 AM »
Those look good for a PR crimper. I find the GAEP easier to get pretty crimps with.

You might try trimming your hulls so that you don’t have as much excess plastic in your crimp to deal with. I think that will tighten it up nicely. You’ve got a good start on it!

I played with it for a little while on some 2 1/2" hulls I had laying around before trying it on an actual load, it seemed like with the precision crimper the further you rolled it the cleaner it got. Im assuming this is because it was heating up. I have a piece of pipe I slide the hull in to trim but I didn't trim those

I wanted a Gaep last year when I bought this one but ballistic products did not have any in stock, looks like they are still out of stock in the 410 now. I dont see them for sale anywhere else