OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Good gobble call for a beginner?  (Read 931 times)

Offline otoha0309

Good gobble call for a beginner?
« on: October 29, 2022, 09:52:17 PM »
So as a beginner to turkey calling I have been trying to learn the different types of turkey calls on different types of staple call types. I have a couple of box calls and some diaphragm calls. I think I've gotten pretty solid at most calls, yelps, clucks, cuts, and purrs. But with the calls I have I haven't found a reliable way to gobble. Is there a specific type of call you would recommend for a beginner to lock down a reliable gobble call? Shake calls and tube calls seem the easiest by demonstration, but is one maybe louder? Is one more idiot proof?

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Good gobble call for a beginner?
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2022, 10:41:31 PM »
 Tube calls make an excellent gobble. A shake call would be more user friendly. Good gobbles can be made with box calls too.

Offline otoha0309

« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2022, 11:47:42 PM »
Tube calls make an excellent gobble. A shake call would be more user friendly. Good gobbles can be made with box calls too.
I've tried using my box call, putting rubber band on it and shaking it like I've seen done on YouTube. I don't know if I just have the wrong box call or what, but it just sounds like a bunch of clacking wood. You can kinda sorta hear the gobble, but it's drowned out by the wood clacking

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2022, 02:17:01 PM »
For ease of use, the shaker calls are the easiest I have used.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online turkey stew

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2022, 07:14:26 PM »
Grab the lid of your shortbox close to the handle  with your thumb and index finger. Move the lid back and forth across the box quickly. It will give you a good gobbling sound.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2022, 11:52:26 AM »
X2 on the tube call and it will get as loud as you need

Also for gobbling on a box call, on this forum there is a Vimeo of Ralph Snodgrass (Lightning Strike calls) demonstrating his method of gobbling on a longbox. Best method I've tried for a realistic gobble on a box call.

if your box has a gobble in it there won't be any wood clanking sound with this style 

Offline trb136

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2022, 06:54:53 PM »
I’ll be glad to send you a video on how to gobble on a boxcall.. just send me a pm