OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: My affinity is ready, excepttt  (Read 2719 times)

Offline fadetoblack188

My affinity is ready, excepttt
« on: October 24, 2022, 02:26:00 PM »
My affinity 3 compact is all set up.  Dipped in bottomland, I have a trulock 585 choke.  Sumtoy mount and Burris ff3 red dot.

Now ammo. Looks like most are running apex 9s tss with the set up.  2 3/4? Or 3 inch?

Also it seems very hard for me to get the apex ok nys.  What other tss would you recommend?

Offline Franklin7x57

Re: My affinity is ready, excepttt
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2022, 03:44:43 PM »
The easiest to get from your LSG is going to probably be Federal TSS 9's, they DID NOT feed the second shot in my gun. I'm shooting 3" Apex 9's or 8.5's in basically the same gun and same choke, about 10-12" pattern at 20-25 yards and 250+ with the 8.5's at 40 yards.
I don't know what New York's laws are, but Apex has been quick to answer my questions by email.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 12:32:05 PM by Franklin7x57 »

Offline Glades

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2022, 11:42:11 AM »
Apex, Rogue and Verdict 3” 1-5/8oz #9 is what you need. All in stock now and easy shipped to your door.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read the NY part. You don't have a buddy in a free state around NY that you can ship your ammo to and pick up?

Also, federal will not cycle through your gun unless you make some modifications to your gun.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2022, 12:53:12 PM by Glades »

Offline Jordan121787

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2022, 08:40:05 PM »
Apex, Rogue and Verdict 3” 1-5/8oz #9 is what you need. All in stock now and easy shipped to your door.

EDIT: Sorry, didn't read the NY part. You don't have a buddy in a free state around NY that you can ship your ammo to and pick up?

Also, federal will not cycle through your gun unless you make some modifications to your gun.

Mine cycles Federal just fine?

Offline Glades

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2022, 10:25:12 PM »

Mine cycles Federal just fine?

That’s great. I’m not speaking out of personal experience, as I don’t own one. But several people on this forum reported the issue with Federal 3” TSS.
Well, I owned one for about a week and had to return it because it was defective.

Offline Franklin7x57

« Reply #5 on: October 26, 2022, 07:00:02 AM »
It's the length of the loaded shell. When you roll crimp a shell it ends up longer than a fold crimp. Apex trims the hull a touch before roll crimping and Foxtrot fold crimps to avoid this. I shot the Federal, one in the chamber and something else in the magazine until they were gone.

Offline fadetoblack188

« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2022, 08:38:36 PM »
Shipped 3 boxes of apex to my cousin in pa.  Thanks

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2022, 06:53:34 PM »
Shipped 3 boxes of apex to my cousin in pa.  Thanks
What part of NY are you in? I get ammo shipped to me all the time.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline Adam0988

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2022, 08:31:16 PM »
I have the exact same set up. Foxtrot #9 for sure. Also burgess creek #8 is a killer as well.

Offline Matt76cmich

« Reply #9 on: October 31, 2022, 01:11:06 PM »
Granted this was for my 20 gauge 870, but my Trulock .585 really liked Wilson's Custom Loads in #9.5 and #10 shot and Apex #9 and the #8/#10 Ol Tom blend..

Is New York allowing #9 shot in 2023? I remember seeing something about it, but can't remember if they switched it or not.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Offline Trkmaster88

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2022, 11:26:50 AM »
Granted this was for my 20 gauge 870, but my Trulock .585 really liked Wilson's Custom Loads in #9.5 and #10 shot and Apex #9 and the #8/#10 Ol Tom blend..

Is New York allowing #9 shot in 2023? I remember seeing something about it, but can't remember if they switched it or not.

Yes, NY now allows 9's.

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2022, 04:51:52 PM »
It’s actually set into law or they’re just discussing it??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2022, 09:25:37 AM »

Yes, NY now allows 9's.

I don’t live or hunt in New York so maybe somebody has something newer and could post what they have in writing. From the Dept. of Environmental Conservation home page I went to “Home » Regulations and Enforcement » Proposed, Emergency, and Recently Adopted Regulations”

Proposed Regulations Pending (Public Comment Period Closed)
2. Part 1.4 - Amendments to Turkey Hunting Seasons on Long Island and Statewide Shot Size Restrictions - This rulemaking would establish a regular spring turkey hunting season on Long Island with a 1-bird bag limit and would amend the minimum shot size restriction to allow the use of shot sizes as small as #9.

When it’s approved I would think the new amendment would should show up in their “Recently Adopted Regulations” section. Below is a link to the DEC web page for anyone interested. Maybe #9 shot is currently approved for turkey hunting in New York and I just couldn’t find it.

https://www.dec.ny.gov/regulations/propregulations.html

Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Trkmaster88

« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2022, 09:23:31 PM »
It's finalized. https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8366.html

It reads: "You may hunt with a shotgun or handgun only when using shot no larger than #2 and no smaller than #9."

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: November 03, 2022, 04:13:59 PM »
It's finalized. https://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/8366.html

It reads: "You may hunt with a shotgun or handgun only when using shot no larger than #2 and no smaller than #9."

There you go,  :z-winnersmiley: TSS #9’s work great where I hunt.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr