OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Franchi Affinity 3 20ga .585 choke

Started by bwhana, May 23, 2022, 01:26:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwhana

Apex 3" 9, Trulock .585 non-ported, lasered 40 yd, no wind, 80 degrees full sun

mossyoakpro

This is pure curiosity since I have not dove into the TSS ring YET...wonder why the 585 has a more dense core than the 575?
Phillippians 4:13

bwhana

I wondered about that too and it was a complete surprise to me.  Also for shot to shot consistency, I ran wet patches of Hoppes through the bore and choke followed by 2 passes with a dry bore snake between every shot, as I always do, so it was as close to apples to apples as you can get.  All shots were solid and taken from a lead sled.

mountainhunter1

Quote from: mossyoakpro on May 23, 2022, 02:18:03 PM
This is pure curiosity since I have not dove into the TSS ring YET...wonder why the 585 has a more dense core than the 575?

With TSS, and yes there are a few exceptions where guns will prefer a tight choke with TSS, but most guns shooting TSS just don't like much constriction as do lead and nickel loads.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

mountainhunter1

Quote from: bwhana on May 23, 2022, 03:10:50 PM
I wondered about that too and it was a compleye surprise to me.  Also for shot to shot consistency, I ran wet patches of Hoppes through the bore and choke followed by 2 passes with a dry bore snake between every shot, as I always do, so it was as close to apples to apples as you can get.  All shots were solid and taken from a lead sled.

You clearly have it about figured out as every pattern you post on here looks good to me, but just curious if you ever follow the cleaning up/bore snake with denatured alcohol before shooting? It tends to give at least a ten percent increase from my experience. A completely dry barrel from the alcohol just seems to do best from my experience. But either way, I like your results.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

bwhana

Quote from: mountainhunter1 on May 23, 2022, 04:22:47 PM
I wondered about that too and it was a compleye surprise to me.  Also for shot to shot consistency, I ran wet patches of Hoppes through the bore and choke followed by 2 passes with a dry bore snake between every shot, as I always do, so it was as close to apples to apples as you can get.  All shots were solid and taken from a lead sled.

You clearly have it about figured out as every pattern you post on here looks good to me, but just curious if you ever follow the cleaning up/bore snake with denatured alcohol before shooting? It tends to give at least a ten percent increase from my experience. A completely dry barrel from the alcohol just seems to do best from my experience. But either way, I like your results.
Great point, and I have used the alcohol in the past too, but did not this trip. I had it with me, but we were shooting multiple guns, chokes, and ammo combos, plus duck loads after the turkey guns, so I short cut that part!

mountainhunter1

Quote from: bwhana on May 23, 2022, 04:46:49 PM
Quote from: mountainhunter1 on May 23, 2022, 04:22:47 PM

Great point, and I have used the alcohol in the past too, but did not this trip. I had it with me, but we were shooting multiple guns, chokes, and ammo combos, plus duck loads after the turkey guns, so I short cut that part!

I was just curious, but either way your patterns are way better than they need to be to kill the turkeys you encounter. Good luck in the woods bwhana.

Ranman

bwhana

Quote from: Ranman on May 24, 2022, 08:51:07 AM
Did you shoot at 20-30 yds?
No, I just wanted to compare these new chokes to my others at 40yds, but would have to be a little better up close than the Indian Creek .555 or Sumtoy .562 based on how tight they were.

bwhana

Adding 4 choke patterns from the same gun and ammo for quick reference...

ragin-cajun

those trulok patterns are very nice. 24 or 26 barrel?

pr hard to do w/ the expense of TSS but i wonder if these patterns w a particular load stay consistent w/ multiple shots from a clean barrel?

just bought the same Franchi. i have a IC 570, RR 570, Carlson 575 and i'll pick one of those Truloks to test here soon. i'll post my results.
Wild Turkey

bwhana

That is a 26" barrel and was cleaned with a bore snake and solvent between shots.  I shot more than one of each, those are just representative pictures.  Every shot always has slightly different numbers, and these were right in the middle for each choke tested, not the tightest or widest, just the average.

slave601

I woulda have figured the .555 woulda been too tight! Guess not
"thinnin the flock"