OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Close encounters of the Rattling Kind….  (Read 2405 times)

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Close encounters of the Rattling Kind….
« on: October 10, 2022, 04:56:08 PM »
It was a cool Texas morning years ago, my brother and I were at his lease hunting Rios. We walked out in the morning darkness, through the field to the Cactus patch where we had past success. We set up in the cactus, and waited till light. While I was sitting, a few feet to my left I thought I heard a faint “rattle”. I whispered to my bro, Kev, I think there’s a snake next to me. He said it’s probably a bird? Then, I heard slithering noise. I got up and told him there’s a snake there. We walked out to the sondero and waited till light. It was windy, cold the birds were quiet. My brother said let’s check out where you were sitting. Low and behold, there was a Rattler coiled up 5 feet from my Turkey chair. He told me to come over and take him out. The Benelli cut loose, and got em. He took a stick and pulled out the big male, and noticed another one. There were 2 of them coiled up together. The shot took them both out. 11 and 9 rattles respectively. I was lucky it was cold, or I probably would have gotten bit. There was a lot of rattlers on the lease, the land owner had horses and was happy these guys no longer wandered in his fields. Love to hunt those Rios, but I am not a fan of those South Texas Rattlers. Any close encounters you might share….be safe
« Last Edit: October 10, 2022, 05:19:08 PM by Tom007 »
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
Re: Close encounters of the Rattling Kind….
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2022, 05:00:12 PM »
Sorry the pic is large, don’t know why. Will try and correct. Got it corrected.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2022, 06:19:41 AM by Tom007 »
“Solo hunter”

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2022, 05:55:57 PM »
Living in the southwestern desert and being active outdoors for sixty or so years, I have had LOTS of encounters with rattlesnakes.  I could have been bitten many times if the snakes had wanted to. I could tell you some stories about "close encounters of the rattlesnake kind" that, if I had not been a first-hand participant, I would not believe them myself.

From what I have seen, rattlesnakes don't want to have to bite you any more than you want to get bitten.  I killed a few in my younger years, but now we just go on about our business when we run into each other.  In certain circumstances where they are near places where they could be a problem, I will undertake a trap and transplant operation, but I never kill them anymore. 

Personally, I think the fear of rattlesnakes is way overblown.  Then again, it would only take one encounter gone wrong to change my attitude about them.  As it stands now, we have on ongoing cease fire agreement.   ;D

Online Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2022, 07:50:36 PM »
Too close for comfort and I wouldn't have picked them up, dead or alive!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2022, 09:52:39 PM »
Good kill regardless .... I can't stand them myself ... glad you didn't get bitten Tom

Online 310 gauge

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2022, 10:14:23 PM »
Hunted with my Son and friends some 20 yrs. ago near Eldorado TX. for Turkey and Deer. My Son's guide took out a six footer by pinning his head down with a forked stick and smashing his head with a fist sized rock. On the last day of the hunt a friend and his guide spied what the guide said was the longest Rattler he had ever seen in his entire life in Texas. He and other guides were planning to go back to the rocks where he crawled in and gas him out. Said he would bring good money being he was such a giant. We did shoot nice Rios, but the Whitetails were nothing special and we're from Eastern North Carolina and used to such.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2022, 10:15:10 PM »
Never had any CLOSE, close encounters, that I'm aware of.

Ran into a few in west Texas.  One was kind enough to donate his skin to decorate the post in my garage.  Mighty nice of him, I thought.

Only agreement I have with snakes is that I agree to kill them ONLY if I see them.    ;D
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2022, 05:12:27 AM »
I'm not a fan of snakes in general so I don't care at all for rattlesnakes or copperheads.
I got a simple rule I live by. If it is going to bite me, sting me or stick me it's got to move on or there will be consequences and repercussions!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2022, 05:17:57 AM »
My brother told me that the lease owner is happy when he takes them out each year. Truthfully, I avoid snakes when I Turkey hunt NJ, and NY. I have seen Copperheads and know Timber rattlers are there, but all in all it’s safe in these areas. My brothers pointer got bit by a rattler hunting quail years ago, his leg was never right. After that, he had them Snake trained. Just part of the territory in South Texas. As they say, “what don’t prick you, will bite you”. I do enjoy Texas though…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2022, 06:20:31 AM »
Good kill regardless .... I can't stand them myself ... glad you didn't get bitten Tom

Thx Greg, got lucky…..
“Solo hunter”

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2022, 01:53:33 PM »
Ive had numerous. My part of the country has massassagua rattlesnakes. Ive been struck at multiple times at work. When we were building our house there was a scrap wood pile I was picking through to get the good stuff before I burned it. Lit it on fire and the biggest massassagua I have ever seen came out of it.

Walking back from turkey hunting and my son meets me on the back porch saying there is one on the front porch and my wife was getting a gun to kill it. Apparently my daughter was standing 3 ft from it before they saw it. My wife walks around the corner with my scoped .270. Thank god I came back when I did.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2022, 04:30:16 PM »
Wow, looks like a big one. Thank god no one got struck…
“Solo hunter”

Offline Cottonmouth

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2022, 09:57:18 PM »
When I started my last route in the MS delta, I saw timber rattlers pretty regular, especially in the fall. I killed the first 4 or 5 and skinned them out. Now I stop, take a pic and let them go unless they are near a house. They are very docile critters and it takes alot to get them to strike. Not likely I'll ever see them again anyway.

Offline Hook hanger

« Reply #13 on: October 13, 2022, 02:52:50 AM »
Have seen more than I care too! One of the places that surprised me was Kansas i hate them prarie rattlers!

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #14 on: October 13, 2022, 06:18:18 AM »
I guess we can sum it up that we can all do without them. If they left the planet, it would not bother me for sure…
“Solo hunter”