turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Anyone use trough calls for hunting?

Started by callmakerman, October 07, 2022, 06:21:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmakerman

Just wondering as I seldom see much talk on here about hunting or even collecting trough calls. I myself really enjoy them. I hunt them and have a nice collection of Primo's, Chisholm, Cotton, Bald, Kirby, Fulcher, McPhail and some that have made for myself to use. My favorite surface is aluminum as for me is just works so well and sounds great. Post up what you use, favorite surface and whether or not you hunt with them.

3bailey3

I don't hunt them any more Bill because I traded my best two with you, but I think I came out ahead in that deal..

callmakerman

Quote from: 3bailey3 on October 07, 2022, 06:29:24 PM
I don't hunt them any more Bill because I traded my best two with you, but I think I came out ahead in that deal..
I beg to differ on that. Both of those calls have been in my vest and hunted since I got them from you. Good thing is we are both happy,

Sir-diealot

I have only had mine for one season but I hunted it this past Spring. Cedar and Green Slate made by Higher Calling Custom Turkey Calls by Nathan Taylor.

Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

btodd00

I have a crossroads red slate cedar/walnut trough that sounds great and was very reasonably priced

Troughs and push pins are the most interesting turkey call designs to me

Greg Massey

Never really cared for them myself, i just prefer pot calls with more surface ... Aluminum surface does make a good calling surface but it does depend on the builder.  IMO .. I've had a couple of them in the past and gave them away.

Bedge7767

Jim

Tom007

I have a few Jimmy Shaffers and Dick Kirby's troughs that I used to use with some success.
"Solo hunter"

GobbleGitr

One of my go to calls in the fall is an old Primos Power Slot (has the ceramic frictionite surface), does a nice gobbler yelp

GobbleNut

I'm pretty certain I've got two or three trough calls tucked away somewhere, but the only one I can identify right off the bat is a Ben Lee Super Hen that I got back in the early 70's right after he started making them.  It has an aluminum surface as I recall, and I have no doubt it would call turkeys.  I have just never gotten into that type of call, and I have never dedicated enough time to become proficient enough with them to use them as an alternative to the other call types I prefer to hunt with. 

I'm sure that they are deadly in the hands of folks that have taken the time to perfect their use and gather up some good ones.  There are probably a bunch of those folks here on OG, but I most certainly ain't one of them!   ;D

The one observation I would make based on my limited experience with trough calls is that the one weakness I see is their limited volume,...or at least that has been the case with every one of them I have used or have seen used by others. 

callmakerman

Quote from: btodd00 on October 07, 2022, 11:01:18 PM
I have a crossroads red slate cedar/walnut trough that sounds great and was very reasonably priced

Troughs and push pins are the most interesting turkey call designs to me
I agree though I really don't use the push pins. I would also add scratch boxes to the mix. Like any call if you learn how to run the call it will serve you well.

callmakerman

Quote from: Greg Massey on October 07, 2022, 11:36:01 PM
Never really cared for them myself, i just prefer pot calls with more surface ... Aluminum surface does make a good calling surface but it does depend on the builder.  IMO .. I've had a couple of them in the past and gave them away.
I my early days of hunting I gave a few away myself. Later on, I spent the time to not only find calls that sounded good to me but also spent time learning how to run them properly. Aluminum for me is an easier call to make then the slate. Just can't get a slate to sound right to me.

callmakerman

Quote from: Tom007 on October 08, 2022, 07:17:57 AM
I have a few Jimmy Shaffers and Dick Kirby's troughs that I used to use with some success.
I forgot that I have a few made by Jimmy. Great craftsman and person. One of my favorites is my Dick Kirby walnut trough with aluminum strip. Great hunting call.

callmakerman

Quote from: GobbleNut on October 08, 2022, 08:58:38 AM
I'm pretty certain I've got two or three trough calls tucked away somewhere, but the only one I can identify right off the bat is a Ben Lee Super Hen that I got back in the early 70's right after he started making them.  It has an aluminum surface as I recall, and I have no doubt it would call turkeys.  I have just never gotten into that type of call, and I have never dedicated enough time to become proficient enough with them to use them as an alternative to the other call types I prefer to hunt with. 

I'm sure that they are deadly in the hands of folks that have taken the time to perfect their use and gather up some good ones.  There are probably a bunch of those folks here on OG, but I most certainly ain't one of them!   ;D

The one observation I would make based on my limited experience with trough calls is that the one weakness I see is their limited volume,...or at least that has been the case with every one of them I have used or have seen used by others.
For me the Lee calls with the thin strip which was either aluminum or slate just don't give me the sound I'm looking for. JMO The calls I have made for myself or Primos, Chisholm and Fulcher calls tone down very nice but if you need to turn it up a notch, they can do that very well.

paboxcall

Only have one, and its pretty special....good enough for Mr. Kirby, good enough for me.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer