OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Trekking Pole or Walking Stick  (Read 2959 times)

Offline NCL

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Trekking Pole or Walking Stick
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2022, 11:36:51 AM »
I have used trekking poles when I do my morning exercise walks. I have never used the poles when hunting but they are light and just have never thought to use  them for that purpose. What I read is the poles help reduce pressure on joints such as knees which is reason I bought and use them. Sierr@  Trading post usually has a good selection and at good prices.

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2022, 12:11:06 PM »
Greg, I’ve used a pair of Leki carbon fiber trekking poles since 2019, they collapse down to 15”, packable, light weight and strong. I’ve taken them on hunts to Mexico, Colorado, Nevada and here in California and they haven’t let me down so far. The poles come with a metal spike on the end and I didn’t like the noise they’d make hitting rocks so before I ever used them hunting I added the rubber walking tips to the bottoms of mine, the rubber tips grip really good and are quiet. For me the poles was money well spent.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2022, 01:26:05 PM »
If you are going to rely on the pole to supprt your weight do not count on some shooting stick!

Get a dedicated trekking pole set, costco has cheap poles that get great reviews, Mountain Smith are not expensive either, otherwise Leki or Black Diamond.

Offline lacire

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2022, 01:48:15 PM »
If you are going to rely on the pole to supprt your weight do not count on some shooting stick!

Get a dedicated trekking pole set, costco has cheap poles that get great reviews, Mountain Smith are not expensive either, otherwise Leki or Black Diamond.

I agree I wouldn’t trust my weight on a pole with the twist type locking collars, the Leki trekking poles I have use sockets that each piece of the pole slips into, then you pull the handgrip up and they lock in place. They’re other brand of poles that are probably just as good but an avid sheep hunter suggested these to me and I’ve been using them ever since.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #19 on: September 20, 2022, 02:45:26 PM »
Anytime Greg, you are welcome my friend…best of luck..
  Tom , i'm at that age in life, if it will aid and help me to continue hunting these gobblers then i plan on investing and looking at all options that are available. The day i have to leave my gun, calls and whatever else i carry hunting at home will be a very sad day in my life, it will be an end to a life long passion for a lot of us chasing gobblers... guys take whatever us older guys share with you and enjoy all your time outdoors with friends and family...

Amen my brother. I always have my eyes on those adds with the camo mini-wheel chairs that have the tank-like tracks. Lord knows if we have to ride in on one to chase these bearded wonders, so be it. The passion we all share has no boundaries……you have a lot of years ahead of you for sure.
“Solo hunter”

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #20 on: September 20, 2022, 02:56:56 PM »

I agree I wouldn’t trust my weight on a pole with the twist type locking collars, the Leki trekking poles I have use sockets that each piece of the pole slips into, then you pull the handgrip up and they lock in place. They’re other brand of poles that are probably just as good but an avid sheep hunter suggested these to me and I’ve been using them ever since.

I agree 100% here. I did not use the shooting stick to support my weight. Just used it as a rest, and “guide” through the rocky terrain. If and when I need a walking stick, I would definitely take the recommendations for one that has the sockets with the pins that securely lock the pole at the desired length. Be well…
“Solo hunter”

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: September 20, 2022, 04:08:23 PM »
This is one of them, you can see it has a twisting lock and then has a clamping lock which I undid so you could see it better after that to keep him extra secure. They have never slipped on me and I have put some serious weight on them when I thought I was going to fall. The name brand in case the picture is blurry is trail buddy. Hope this helps.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 21, 2022, 07:53:56 AM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline aclawrence

• Longbeard
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2022, 06:47:59 PM »
I’m a believer in trekking poles / walking stick. I think it makes big difference when hiking and they are incredibly helpful for creek crossing. Especially the log crossing balance beam type. That being said I don’t carry one while turkey hunting. I’m sure I’d prop it against a tree and walk off without it. I used to have a nice pair of carbon back diamonds I really liked a lot but I think I left them in a parking spot one time and they’ve never been seen again. I ha e a really cool  staff I made from Cedar that I enjoy carrying. Honestly the biggest advantage of any type of walking stick is knocking down them dang spider webs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2022, 07:04:25 PM »
Started using a set of aluminum trekking poles similar to Steve's, and mine have same type locking mechanism. Never leave the truck without them spring and fall.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2022, 07:26:33 PM »
I had to buy a new primos extendable "rest" last year. The Primos I had before would not hold my .22 up to shoot without bleeding down.
They are not walking sticks or trekking poles by no means.

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2022, 10:03:02 PM »
Those Trail buddy poles get great reviews on Amazon. I recently got into hiking and picked up a set. I’m impressed after years of being in the woods. They add a lot of stability, highly recommend.

Online Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #26 on: September 25, 2022, 10:27:02 PM »
Those Trail buddy poles get great reviews on Amazon. I recently got into hiking and picked up a set. I’m impressed after years of being in the woods. They add a lot of stability, highly recommend.
I lost the attachments that go to them, for the price I might just buy another set so I can have them.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2022, 04:58:34 PM »
I've done a lot of hiking over the years...more than most, including the Adirondack 46 in NY for those of you that may be familiar. It would not have been easy or comfortable without my trek poles. In the past few years or so I've developed balance issues and have brought my trek pole(s) out of retirement. When doing the 46 I used two poles...when hunting one pole is sufficient to maintain my balance.

Even when doing the 46 I would see people using a walking stick...a useless piece of equipment IMO compared to a decent adjustable trek pole. BTW...if you get a trek pole get one with a cork rather than composite grip...you'll like it much better.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2022, 05:08:46 PM by Turkeyman »

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2022, 05:16:44 PM »
Sparkleberry makes a nice hard cane with little work.  Just have to find one shaped the way you want. Strip the bark off and let it dry.  I walked through the woods one day with a saw and cut a couple with a good shape and gave them to my dad.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline PalmettoRon

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #29 on: September 27, 2022, 09:49:00 AM »
I do a lot of hiking in hilly and mountainous terrain year round. I also use collapsable Leki carbon treking poles. They're fairly expensive, but take a lot off your knees and back.

I use them when hunting steep or rocky terrain and they've saved me from falling on my butt multiple times. They collapse to a very small size and easily fit in my vest or attached to a day pack.

They make both ascending and especially descending much easier and I'm still in good shape and not over weight. Try a treking pole if you hunt steep terrain and I think you'll be hooked.