OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Trekking Pole or Walking Stick

Started by Greg Massey, September 19, 2022, 10:38:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

As I get older i feel sometimes i need one of these collapsible type sticks that is easy to carry and pack. Do any of you use one of these and have a recommendation?

Paulmyr

Picked on up for my pop's a few years back. The primos extendable one. The trigger stick I think it's called. Works well for him. He had ankle replacement surgery a few years back and it still gives him some problems. He uses it to keep his balance when walking. When we get set up he retracts it, jams it into the ground, and rests the barrel of his gun on it.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

crow

I sometimes use a long wooden walking stick, have made them from maple and hickory.
the longer length is handy stepping over a log or getting up off the ground

Sam Fadala used one, he called it his Moses stick.

My only recommendation is be careful how hard you whack a snake with it if it has any sentimental value

Nathan_Wiles

I use the Kelty Strider. It breaks down small enough and is sturdy for me. I have dealt with bad knees and stability issues for many years. A sturdy walking stick keeps me upright and moving forward in the woods. Link below, but Cabelas and Sportsmans Warehouse carry them as well. 25 bucks well spent imo.

https://www.amazon.com/Kelty-Strider-Hiking-Staff-Woodbine/dp/B078WHKPJZ/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?adgrpid=55245610279&gclid=CjwKCAjwpqCZBhAbEiwAa7pXeQvf5ZmeP5sB3fz0qb0Mw5twPAZAkeGOdyEjtd1seJIF3lYgk1YRRBoCDWMQAvD_BwE&hvadid=274713864881&hvdev=m&hvlocphy=9010663&hvnetw=g&hvqmt=e&hvrand=10346719041527134126&hvtargid=kwd-296375821650&hydadcr=17133_9496626&keywords=kelty+walking+stick&qid=1663649320&sr=8-3

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

I have been using them since maybe 2003 or 4 because of my car accident. For a long time it was something I had to use every single day, now it depend on the terrain, sometimes I use one and if on rocky ground I use two. I will say this, get one with a spring built in, it helps the hands quite a bit over simple wooden ones and makes it so you can go further as well as your hands, wrists, elbow and shoulder will not wear out as quickly. You can pick up simple ones like this on ebay which is what I used for years with no problems (except when I shut it in the car door)

If you feel you will use it quite often them spend the money for a decent set of trekking pols, they also have suspension but tend to be much better made once you get over $30.00 and the locking mechanisms are much better than the simple twisting ones like the picture I posted above. Some come with attachments for walking in snow or mud, kind of look like ski poles with the basket attached.

The problem both have is eventually the bottom plastic piece wears out and then you have a metal spike sticking out, fine if only used outdoors but if you use them like I used to have to the spike sucks on floors and will scratch the dickens out of a lot of them but it sounds like you only want one for outside. A friend of mines son got me a nice set of trekking poles, they are down in the truck but I will try to remember to get you the name of them well later today now, it is past midnight.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Turkeybutt

Just one more thing for me to take into the woods but I might like one to help me get up off the ground. With that said, I'm thinking a long wooden walking/whacking stick is in order. Somehow I see myself bending those collapsible aluminum poles way too easy. 

jhoward11

I'm a tight arsh...unscrew the handle to the crappy old broom and there you go.lol

Tom007

Hello Greg. I have this Mono-pod Shooting stick that doubles as a fantastic walking stick. It is 28 inches when compressed, extends out to 62 inches. It locks in real nice, quiet, easy. Made in USA, by Stoney Point. The "V" on top swivels, and also locks if needed. I used this Elk hunting, and it worked great with my Muzzleloader, and was a steady walking stick in the rocky Colorado terrain.  Very light weight, and can be used sitting down as steady rest for Turkey. You can attach a lanyard to it too. I have had it a long time. Good luck, I think it's a good option for you. Be well.
"Solo hunter"

Yoder409

For turkey and flintlock deer, I have a walking stick I cut from (what I call) "redbrush".  It grows on the creek banks here.  Bark is quite reddish.  There's all kinds of straight stalks and nearly every one has a nice "Y" in it.  The stuff dries out very hard and durable.  Mine's cut to just the right length to serve as a shooting stick when I'm seated and a walking stick when I'm on the move.  I've NO idea how many deer and turkeys have succumbed to a gun rested in that "Y".

I'll get a pic of it.   It's fancy...........    :toothy12:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Turkeybutt on September 20, 2022, 05:09:47 AM
Just one more thing for me to take into the woods but I might like one to help me get up off the ground. With that said, I'm thinking a long wooden walking/whacking stick is in order. Somehow I see myself bending those collapsible aluminum poles way too easy.
I was close to 500lbs. at one point and never bent one except when I shut it in the car door and even then they were still usable. (Did it twice) By the way I just wanted to throw this out there, if you take the time to read the sticker on the Primos shooting sticks they all say not to use them as a walking stick as do all of my shooting sticks like the one Tom077 posted though mine is not the same brand as his. I have had that type collapse on me both when I was close to 500lbs. and when I was down to 228lbs. Not trying to insult anyone but I have been hurt enough times I am just trying to save anyone else any hurt. Best of luck with whatever you choose. I forgot to get the name of those for you but have to go back to town so will when I get home, sorry.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Tom007

Quote from: Sir-diealot on September 20, 2022, 10:42:02 AM
I was close to 500lbs. at one point and never bent one except when I shut it in the car door and even then they were still usable. (Did it twice) By the way I just wanted to throw this out there, if you take the time to read the sticker on the Primos shooting sticks they all say not to use them as a walking stick as do all of my shooting sticks like the one Tom077 posted though mine is not the same brand as his. I have had that type collapse on me both when I was close to 500lbs. and when I was down to 228lbs. Not trying to insult anyone but I have been hurt enough times I am just trying to save anyone else any hurt. Best of luck with whatever you choose. I forgot to get the name of those for you but have to go back to town so will when I get home, sorry.

I hear you Steve. I do not put tremendous pressure on mine, it's like a "guiding crutch" in rough terrain. I do not need a walking stick yet, but if I ever need one because of necessity, I would opt for a stick rated as such. My stick never collapsed on me, I am 5'10, 180 pounds. Everything here depends on the individual needs, thus all suggestions have merit for some, not for all. Great input. Be well....
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Some great ideas everyone, keep the post coming and thanks for sharing your experience with these .... I really like the pictures your sharing ... The cork handle is what i'm looking at on the Trekking pole and i want a padded wrist strap... but i definitely want it to be collapsible whatever i decide....

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tom007 on September 20, 2022, 10:56:55 AM
Quote from: Sir-diealot on September 20, 2022, 10:42:02 AM

I hear you Steve. I do not put tremendous pressure on mine, it's like a "guiding crutch" in rough terrain. I do not need a walking stick yet, but if I ever need one because of necessity, I would opt for a stick rated as such. My stick never collapsed on me, I am 5'10, 180 pounds. Everything here depends on the individual needs, thus all suggestions have merit for some, not for all. Great input. Be well....
Tom i agree , it's not something i would use all the time , but i want the option to have one available for the times i think i will need one especially in ruff terrain... most of the trekking poles come in a pair , so that would give me the option of having one in each of my vehicles ... thanks for your input ...

Tom007

Anytime Greg, you are welcome my friend...best of luck..
"Solo hunter"

Greg Massey

Quote from: Tom007 on September 20, 2022, 11:13:29 AM
Anytime Greg, you are welcome my friend...best of luck..
Tom , i'm at that age in life, if it will aid and help me to continue hunting these gobblers then i plan on investing and looking at all options that are available. The day i have to leave my gun, calls and whatever else i carry hunting at home will be a very sad day in my life, it will be an end to a life long passion for a lot of us chasing gobblers... guys take whatever us older guys share with you and enjoy all your time outdoors with friends and family...