OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Paw Paw trees  (Read 1992 times)

Offline jhoward11

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
Paw Paw trees
« on: September 19, 2022, 01:35:02 PM »
I have pawpaw trees like crazy. Do you all see any while out in the woods? Anyone have ideas on using them? I tried ice cream one year, but it wasn't the best. I thought about something like Amish bread or banana nut bread.  I know I have to get them before the deer do once they fall. These are the stories we come up with before turkey season roles around...LOL

Online Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
Re: Paw Paw trees
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2022, 01:53:38 PM »
Outside of eating the fruits raw, there are many other pawpaw fruit uses. The flavor resembles mild bananas and is a useful addition to baked goods, puddings, ice cream, salad, and even in liquors. You can make jams, smoothies, quick breads, and pastries.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2022, 02:04:05 PM »
Never ate them but I know I like their smell.

BUT, I had very bad encounter with a cottonmouth under a paw paw tree. Early bow season, hot and humid, and because of the heat, I'm walking down an old logging road with a set of snake chaps across my shoulder with the plan to wear them out after dark.

The road went through a patch of paw paw trees and I'm not paying enough attention and step on a paw paw and look down and about that time, a HUGE cottonmouth moves about 5 feet off the road, coils up and shows me why he's called a cottonmouth. He's mad, I'm scared and my snake chaps are on my shoulder. I squealed and ran a few feet to increase the difference and then managed to get my chaps on, the snake had no intentions of backing down and I eventually calmed down enough to shoot it in the head with an arrow.

From then on, I wore my chaps and ignored the state law of no pistols during bow season (that law has changed now).

I really think the snake was using the paw paws to catch easy prey

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2022, 04:11:34 PM »
Besides eating them raw I mash them up and put on pancakes

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2022, 04:47:10 PM »
I have never heard of these, in what region do they grow? Thanks. Did some research, here is the answer if anyone else was wondering.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: September 19, 2022, 06:16:24 PM by Sir-diealot »
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2022, 07:02:34 PM »
Never saw the fruit.  The only trees I've ever seen were ones I've planted.........which have never flourished and most didn't even survive.  I'm on the edge of the range shown in the above map.  So they SHOULD grow.  But...........
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2022, 07:43:30 PM »
They are a pretty neat fruit... it just doesn't have much of a shelf life ... it was another tree that was planted to provide food on the farm, you have to remember back in the olden days a farmer may have made a trip to town 2 maybe 3 times a year so it was planted alone with apple, peach, persimmon, walnut and pecan trees

Offline eddie234

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: September 19, 2022, 09:30:06 PM »

Turkey’s like paw paw’s

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline bear hunter

« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2022, 11:44:19 PM »
Are paw paws limited by elevation because they dont grow in my area of the mountains of western North Carolina?

Offline Franklin7x57

« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2022, 07:45:12 AM »
bear hunter. I see most in moist areas in central VA along rivers. The first year they prefer shady area to get started and then do well in sun. They also are harder to pollinate than most trees.

Offline jhoward11

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2022, 08:04:50 AM »
I live in Southern In. and just stumbled on them one day in our woods looking for ginseng. That was about 6-7 yrs. ago, and now I know what they look like, I have them everywhere. They taste just like a Banana (which is why they call them a poor mans banana). As far as looks, it's hard to explain. Green, not shaped like a banana. Best to google them... Don't eat the seed or the skin, I believe they are bad for you, just scoop out the inside. As far as ripe...I usually shake the tree and whatever falls off I know is ripe and ready for whatever I do with them. I think I'm going to try Banana nut bread and see how that goes.

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2022, 05:42:36 PM »
Here is a few my Dad found back about 3 weeks or so. Also has a few Buckeyes there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2022, 08:37:20 PM »
We have them here in KS. Ive tried getting them going on my place. I planted 25 seedlings and had a few going until the flood of 2019. I direct planted a bunch of seeds last fall but have not seen much.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline firedup

« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2022, 09:05:15 PM »
Unique North American fruit.  To me a sort of banana / Mango mix.  Lots of recipes out there. Including moonshine!  And if you can find a tree big enuff the wood is unlike any you will ever see.  A light to dark green color and great sycamore like pattern on the right cut.  I have roughly 30 producing trees and normally pick a couple bushel every year. I eat a few but have regular folks who line up to haul off the rest. My largest tree was storm damaged and it had to go.  If the pics work, here is a sweet trough call Mr. Brian Aliff made for me out of some pawpaw wood and a Cost style box with a crazy figured up hard maple lid that I built for myself.  The wood is soft and works up very similar to poplar. 

Offline bear hunter

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2022, 09:27:33 PM »
Good looking wood and box thanks for sharing.