Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

PA Game Commission turkey study. Ouch !!!!

Started by Yoder409, September 08, 2022, 05:48:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Yoder409

The Pennsylvania Game Commission has a turkey hen study under way.

Early this year, they trapped and fitted 100 hens from 4 different areas of the state with GPS transmitters to evaluate movement and mortality. As of the end of July, less than 50% of those hens in the study were still alive.

I knew nesting hen mortality was a thing. Am I the only one that's surprised it's THAT LARGE ????   I think that figure should be concerning to not only Pennsylvanians but turkey hunters everywhere.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

guesswho

I would have guessed 10-15%, but strictly a guess.   That seems way high to me.   Wow!   I wish they had cameras to tell what killed them.   I'm betting bobcats were a major contributor followed by raptors. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

falltoms

I've been saying for awhile now about our predator population, too many of everything. I will continue to trap because I love it, but it takes money to trap. The fur market has been terrible for the past8 years or so. I suspect we will continue to see an uprise in more and more predators, because of that fact. The local fur auction this past February near me was very disappointing, raccoon went for an average of $1.67. They are not worth fooling with at that price. I don't trap for the money, but it's nice to get some return, I downsized my trapline last year, it's a full time job, on top of my full time job. But I will continue to trap as much as I can. The sad part about the Pennsylvania game commission, is that they are slow to react to changes in game management. The last few years they have been big into early spring controlled burns, which I think is absurd that time of year. Now they want to introduce marten back into the northern teir counties, like we need another predator. I'm not blaming our commissioners, the predator problem is not their fault, but there are some things they could improve on for sure.

Roost 1

Guskie

How soon did they die after handling? Turkeys are very susceptible to capture myopathy

aclawrence

Dang at 50% it makes you wonder if was related to their capture or carrying the tracking device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JeffC

I am starting to believe that we are losing more turkeys to road kills and other factors related to habitat loss. We keep building and taking over more and more farms, fields and woods, roads everywhere, more and more traffic. All animals are squeezed into less and less habitat, which makes predator and prey closer neighbors, easier hunting. Turkeys are in for a fight for their future.   
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Tom007

Quote from: Roost 1 on September 08, 2022, 06:57:14 PM
Bobcats are a real issue.

I can add here that I hunt a private farm in Northern NJ. The past 2 years, the turkeys have disappeared. The first 4 years I hunted it, I had tremendous success, never taking more than one Tom per year off the parcel. I was pretty much the only Turkey hunter on it. The past 2 years, this guy took residence on the property. I believe he is the culprit? He is always on my camera, and I saw him live one morning while scouting. I agree with Roost 1, they are a big problem.
"Solo hunter"

Hook hanger

Bobs main food source is squirrels but they won't pass up some tasty turkeys either. Have called in more than I would like while turkey hunting with some danger close.

packmule

Results from these studies have been nagging at me for a couple of weeks.  I looked at several studies online to see what other studies have found, below is a quick summary:

Authors: Hubbard, Garner and Klaas, 1993-1996 study in Iowa. 68% survival for adults, 71% for subadults. Coyotes and red fox were the primary source of predation mortality.

Authors: Kurzejeski, Vangilder and Lewis, 1984-1985 study in Missouri, 44% survival. Predation and poaching were the primary sources of mortality.

Authors: Wright, Paisley, Kubisiak, 1988-1994 study in Wisconsin, 53% survival. Predation was the primary source of mortality.

Authors: Palmer, Hurst, Stys, Smith and Burk: 1987-1990 study in Mississippi, 68% survival, predation was the primary source of mortality.

Authors: Roberts, Coffey and Porter, 1990-1993 study in New York, 50% survival, predation, poaching, hunting, and wounding were primary mortality sources.

Authors: Nguyen, Hamr, and Parker, 1999-2001 study in Ontario, 29% survival.

Authors: Moore, Kilgo, Carlisle, Guynn, Davis, 1998-2001 study in South Carolina, 74% survival with bobcats listed as the primary predator.

Interesting results.

Tom Threetoes

I just saw this and I thought I'd add my two cents. When we first started seeing bobcats around here in Southern Indiana with any kind of regularity is when our turkey population started to decline. Our state has given them protected status with no thought to the protection of our turkeys. The last thing we need
around here is another predator!

Greg Massey

In northern states i would think the mortality rate would be higher ... IMO ...

Tail Feathers

I'm beginning to think trapping hens kills almost half of them.  At those numbers, we won't have turkeys for long.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Terry

So looks like low survival rate was a thing even back when numbers were still growing tremendously??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

TauntoHawk

So many predators these days.. I see coyotes, bobcat, Fisher, racoons, possums on cam almost daily. Even if turkeys aren't the primary good source of any of these it sure doesn't help if they are out numbers 5 to 1. That doesn't even count the eagles, hawks, and even crows are rough on the eggs when hens are nesting.

I plan to work on those critters as much habitat improvements to make a better place for all animals.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>