turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Your thoughts on this gun?

Started by RutnNStrutn, September 08, 2022, 02:13:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roost 1

4oz is a quarter of a pound, I seriously doubt you could pick them both up at the same time and tell the difference.

Roost 1

Quote from: BDeal on September 09, 2022, 11:47:16 PM
Quote from: Roost 1 on September 09, 2022, 08:42:42 PM
Quote from: BDeal on September 09, 2022, 07:08:12 PM
Quote from: Roost 1 on September 09, 2022, 11:19:12 AM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on September 09, 2022, 01:41:10 AM
Quote from: Roost 1 on September 08, 2022, 06:59:01 PM
https://www.tndeer.com/threads/two-turkey-guns.423570/#post-5421335
Roost1, I didn't see anything about the gun I was asking about in your link.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Are you trying to compare the 410 to the 20 gauge??

You are correct. I was just sharing a good deal on a great turkey gun.
Nothing at all wrong with a Tristar but not the same quality as a Franchi or Benelli.

I have no problem spending another $3-400 on the Franchi but it is almost a half a pound heavier than the Tristar and if I'm going to a 20 gauge one of the biggest reasons is to get something lighter.... The Franchi is pretty heavy compared to all of the competition.

You must have found a great deal on a Tristar if its $300-$400 cheaper than Affinity 3...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Franchi does not make a 410...notice bottom left of tag, it' says 20ga.

RutnNStrutn

LOL!!!

captpete

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on September 10, 2022, 02:22:33 PM
LOL!!!

I was kind of thinking the same thing and it has nothing to do with the gun asked about. :OGturkeyhead:

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: captpete on September 11, 2022, 09:00:22 AM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on September 10, 2022, 02:22:33 PM
LOL!!!

I was kind of thinking the same thing and it has nothing to do with the gun asked about. :OGturkeyhead:

BDeal

Quote from: Roost 1 on September 10, 2022, 06:06:50 AM
4oz is a quarter of a pound, I seriously doubt you could pick them both up at the same time and tell the difference.

The gun weights I saw were listed in pounds, not pounds and ounces so it is .4 lbs or 6.4 ounces. Granted it's not a huge amount of weight but some of the other 20 gauges out there are in the 5.5 lb range so when you look at it that way it does add some.

BDeal

Quote from: Roost 1 on September 10, 2022, 06:09:07 AM
Quote from: BDeal on September 09, 2022, 11:47:16 PM
Quote from: Roost 1 on September 09, 2022, 08:42:42 PM
Quote from: BDeal on September 09, 2022, 07:08:12 PM
Quote from: Roost 1 on September 09, 2022, 11:19:12 AM
Quote from: RutnNStrutn on September 09, 2022, 01:41:10 AM
Quote from: Roost 1 on September 08, 2022, 06:59:01 PM
https://www.tndeer.com/threads/two-turkey-guns.423570/#post-5421335
Roost1, I didn't see anything about the gun I was asking about in your link.

Are you trying to compare the 410 to the 20 gauge??

You are correct. I was just sharing a good deal on a great turkey gun.
Nothing at all wrong with a Tristar but not the same quality as a Franchi or Benelli.

I have no problem spending another $3-400 on the Franchi but it is almost a half a pound heavier than the Tristar and if I'm going to a 20 gauge one of the biggest reasons is to get something lighter.... The Franchi is pretty heavy compared to all of the competition.

You must have found a great deal on a Tristar if its $300-$400 cheaper than Affinity 3...

Franchi does not make a 410...notice bottom left of tag, it' says 20ga.

Thats a nice price!!!

sixbird

I have experience with both of these guns. Franchi 20 ga., TriStar .410.
The Franchi, quality wise is a WAY better gun. The bolt is head and shoulders more substantial and better built and finished than the Tristar. This would be expected since the TriStar is a Turkish gun. The Franchi, Italian AND, built by Benelli.
The barrel is finished better. The machining in general and the fit and finish are better on Franchi.
The trigger, from the factory, on the ones I have/have worked on, I have to give a substantial edge to the TriStar. The trigger on Franchi is STIFF! That can be fixed with a spring kit from M-carbo or Taran Tactical (use the one for Benelli M2 They'll tell you it won't fit but it WILL. And it functions same as factory except being way lighter and smoother.)
The overall quality of Franchi is substantially better.
That said, the TriStar seems to be a good utility gun. It functions fine and, for low volume shooting, such as upland hunting/turkey hunting, you wouldn't go wrong.
I'd give this advice...Go to your gun store and take each one apart. The differences will be apparent.
If I had a choice and wasn't concerned about the price difference, I'd, no question, buy the Franchi.

sixbird

In addition to above, the franchi is recoil operated. TriStar gas operated.
The difference in cleaning is not comparable.
Gas operated is WAY dirtier and takes quite a bit longer to clean.

BDeal

Any suggestions on where to look for the best price on the Affinity?

Thanks!

sixbird

Can't help you there my friend but I'd say if you can get a black one for around $700 or a camo one for around $800, I'd buy it.

sixbird

Sorry, I confused the spring kits.
For the TriStar, you use the kit for the Mossberg (SA20).
For the Franchi, it's the Benelli M2 kit.
I fixed my previous post.
Sorry for the memory lapse...

Brad_Colvin

A buddy of mine has that same gun. He loves it and it fits well,shoulders great and shoots very good. We were on an out of state trip this past spring and he went to unload his gun and the bolt handle came off in his hand. Thankfully we were able to reattach it but had we not been able too it could have been bad. I dont know if this speaks to the craftsmanship of the Tri stars but it was comcerning to me.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

ShootingABN!