OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

NY to allow #9 shot

Started by Sir-diealot, September 02, 2022, 04:41:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

So New York will now allow #9 shot as I understand it. I both like and dislike this. My main dislike is that they will allow it in lead shot and I think it should have been written to only allow #9 shot in denser forms of ammo such as TSS or Heavishot. I am still not sure if I want to use #7,8 of 9 shot, I am confused as to the kinetic energy down range and how ethically the turkey will be taken, I do not think just throwing more shot downrange is the only answer to this equation.

Apex is constantly out of ammo anyway so I do not even know if I will be able to get any in time for the season. I would like to try #9 shot for one season and see what I think but will still limit my range to 30 to 40 yards tops. I will also be interested to see how is shoots from 5-25 yards in my 1187 with a Indian Creek Choke Tube at .665

https://www.dec.ny.gov/press/126080.html#:~:text=The%20finalized%20regulation%20establishes%20a,the%20fall%20and%20spring%20seasons.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

zelmo1

My experience with #9 TSS is short but 6 birds in 3 years all stone dead is proof to me. This was with a 20 and 28 gauge. I wanted to get lighter and stay lethal and my expectations were far exceeded. I went from the 20 to the 28 and am extremely glad I did. The pattern through my IC .520 is devastating. My opinion is that TSS makes a 12 gauge unnecessary, FOR ME. Use what you are comfortable with. If I ever loaded TSS for a 12 gauge, I would go with the 2.75" and the 1.5-1.75 ounce load of #9's. Under 50 yards, the energy of the #9 TSS is more than enough. I am going on my experience and results. #5-40 rounds at the range and 6/6 in the field. It will be fun to get your set up perfect bro, part of the fun. Good luck. PM me if you want any specific info. Z

tracker#1

I haven't touched my 12s in 3 seasons. I've been carrying a couple of different 20s and a .410 with hand-rolled #8s. (NY) Not sure if I will move to #9s because I'm thinking #8s have a better punch-down range and still produce good patterns. Nice though to have the option now...

ol bob

#9 TSS will kill them stone cold no flop dead at 40 yards all day ever day.

btodd00

I killed one this season further than I care to admit with #9 apex and a 410 because I misjudged the yardage badly and I have killed a handful 30 yards and in with the 410 and 9s of various brands. The result was the same on all of them. I hand loaded some #10s this year but did not get a bird with them. The pattern is pretty crazy for a 410 but it still isn't remotely close to what my 12g and longbeard XR #6 will do at 40 

Sir-diealot

Quote from: zelmo1 on September 02, 2022, 06:05:08 AM
My experience with #9 TSS is short but 6 birds in 3 years all stone dead is proof to me. This was with a 20 and 28 gauge. I wanted to get lighter and stay lethal and my expectations were far exceeded. I went from the 20 to the 28 and am extremely glad I did. The pattern through my IC .520 is devastating. My opinion is that TSS makes a 12 gauge unnecessary, FOR ME. Use what you are comfortable with. If I ever loaded TSS for a 12 gauge, I would go with the 2.75" and the 1.5-1.75 ounce load of #9's. Under 50 yards, the energy of the #9 TSS is more than enough. I am going on my experience and results. #5-40 rounds at the range and 6/6 in the field. It will be fun to get your set up perfect bro, part of the fun. Good luck. PM me if you want any specific info. Z
Thanks for the info bud. I will never get rid of the 12, I got the gun with money I got after my father was killed on a construction job so the gun will always have a direct meaning to him for me. When I do sight in I will start with lighter loads to tune it in and then go from there, the stuff is just so expensive. I will likely take you up on it, I just have to catch Apex when they have it in stock and I have money at the same time which never seems to happen.

Quote from: tracker#1 on September 02, 2022, 07:56:17 AM
I haven't touched my 12s in 3 seasons. I've been carrying a couple of different 20s and a .410 with hand-rolled #8s. (NY) Not sure if I will move to #9s because I'm thinking #8s have a better punch-down range and still produce good patterns. Nice though to have the option now...
As I told Zelmo above I will always use my 12 for turkey as it is a link to my father. I do have that question about jumping from #8's to #9's and for the very reason you mention. I have heard that #7's seem to have the most kinetic energy if I understand correctly, which with me is a big question as when you start bringing numbers in I have always have problems.

Quote from: ol bob on September 02, 2022, 09:25:12 AM
#9 TSS will kill them stone cold no flop dead at 40 yards all day ever day.
That is what I understand, I just want to see what they look like between 5-35 as well, I think I have heard there can be problems with how tight the patterns can be, so I many have to get a less restrictive choke, though I have read a lot of good here with using the 1187 with a Indian Creek Choke Tube at .665 with #9's I just have not heard a lot about the combination at lower ranges.

Quote from: btodd00 on September 02, 2022, 10:50:22 AM
I killed one this season further than I care to admit with #9 apex and a 410 because I misjudged the yardage badly and I have killed a handful 30 yards and in with the 410 and 9s of various brands. The result was the same on all of them. I hand loaded some #10s this year but did not get a bird with them. The pattern is pretty crazy for a 410 but it still isn't remotely close to what my 12g and longbeard XR #6 will do at 40 
I like the Longbeard XR's (When they fire) but they are becoming very hard to find anymore and when I do they are at 1200fps in 3" #6 shot not the 1050fps at 3" #6 shot and my gun did not like the 1200fps at 3" at all. My gun hates #5 shot in any shell size or any manufacture. My biggest worry about the new law is people taking stupid shots, I have seen some videos on youtube that made me want to puke because people took long shots with the TSS and the bird seemed to take much longer to die, we owe all animals better than that.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:

Kygobblergetter

9 shot will kill them way farther than you should be shooting. It's been proven several times in recent years. I shoot it out of my 20 and have never had a hit bird get away. 50 yards or less I wouldn't ever worry about it having enough energy and I know people that have killed several at 60+. Those longer shots aren't for me but with the right combo it is definitely lethal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Kygobblergetter on September 03, 2022, 12:11:42 PM
9 shot will kill them way farther than you should be shooting. It's been proven several times in recent years. I shoot it out of my 20 and have never had a hit bird get away. 50 yards or less I wouldn't ever worry about it having enough energy and I know people that have killed several at 60+. Those longer shots aren't for me but with the right combo it is definitely lethal

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I have zero desire to shoot turkey or any animal other than woodchucks over 30-40 yards, that is one reason I love turkey and bow hunting so much. Looks like shoulder is going to make me give up bow hunting though I am sorry to say.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

John Koenig:

tracker#1

No reason to give up your bow..purchase a "draw-loc", legal in NY. Many friends use them and are still archery hunting with shoulder issues...

btodd00

I like the Longbeard XR's (When they fire) but they are becoming very hard to find anymore and when I do they are at 1200fps in 3" #6 shot not the 1050fps at 3" #6 shot and my gun did not like the 1200fps at 3" at all. My gun hates #5 shot in any shell size or any manufacture. My biggest worry about the new law is people taking stupid shots, I have seen some videos on youtube that made me want to puke because people took long shots with the TSS and the bird seemed to take much longer to die, we owe all animals better than that.
[/quote]

I bought up a ton of the #6 when they first came out, im not sure which fps they are without looking but I didn't think there could be a better shell made the first time I shot those. I still have at least 3-4 boxes that are getting close to 10 years old now I would guess

Sir-diealot

Quote from: tracker#1 on September 06, 2022, 08:03:31 AM
No reason to give up your bow..purchase a "draw-loc", legal in NY. Many friends use them and are still archery hunting with shoulder issues...
The problem is not in drawing the bow, that arm is more or less good, it is in the holding up the bow that is a problem for me, so the draw lock would be of no good to me as I understand them. I do thank you for the idea though.

Quote from: btodd00 on September 06, 2022, 08:59:36 AM

I bought up a ton of the #6 when they first came out, im not sure which fps they are without looking but I didn't think there could be a better shell made the first time I shot those. I still have at least 3-4 boxes that are getting close to 10 years old now I would guess
[/quote]
I bought 3 boxes when I bought them and had to return one because of a firing issue and have not been able to find any since. I have a box and a half left I guess, I would like to have about 4 of them but with this new anti-lead bill they are trying to push I almost think I had better start just buying TSS now.

John Koenig:

lunghit

Quote from: Sir-diealot on September 06, 2022, 12:50:45 PM
Quote from: tracker#1 on September 06, 2022, 08:03:31 AM
The problem is not in drawing the bow, that arm is more or less good, it is in the holding up the bow that is a problem for me, so the draw lock would be of no good to me as I understand them. I do thank you for the idea though.

Quote from: btodd00 on September 06, 2022, 08:59:36 AM

Expensive but look into a PSE carbon bow. They weigh 3.6 pounds bare bow and you can put a QAD rest and light weight sight on and the bow will only be 4+ pounds. You can probably find a good deal on a used one.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Sir-diealot

Thanks for the suggestion.vI have the PSE Stinger??? that is a carbon bow, I have a higher end single pin sight and higher end rest, I can't recall the name right now. I will try to get the name of it later. I was going to try to hunt with it anyway but then had problems with my arch in my left dropping so that killed hunting for this year, I am not even sure I will be able to turkey hunt starting this week.

Sent from my moto g pure using Tapatalk

John Koenig:

Hook hanger

I think its a good idea NY is now allowing #9 shot. I've always understood the restrictions for large shot size but never really understood why states just didn't say "x-size and smaller allowed". TSS 10s will kill them further than we should be shooting at them in my opinion.

Cottonmouth

Dont overthink things. #8's were legal there and will flatten any turkey.  I have shot Browning tss 7x9 for 4 years now and no problems at all. Even got some Browning #7's on clearance and they hit like a freight train. Go with #9, 8 or 7's and enjoy your hunt.