OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Astigmatism and Red Dots…  (Read 1433 times)

Offline BBURN

Astigmatism and Red Dots…
« on: August 11, 2022, 11:22:59 AM »
I’m sure there is a thread somewhere in the forum that would answer my questions, but after several pages of searches, I only have more questions than when I started.  My vision is not too bad but I do have a good bit of astigmatism in both eyes. I plan on going to a red dot sight soon and will be using a Meadow Creek rib mount on an older 20 gauge 870 Express youth model so I don’t have to drill and tap and will be shooting TSS #9. 

From what I’ve read, it appears that astigmatism does affect how you see the red dot.  I also understand that it will affect some more than others.  My questions are does the size of the dot (3 MOA or 6 MOA) make a difference.  Will the 6 MOA cause more of the starburst effect I read about?  Does mounting the sight farther away from your eye like the rib mount will make much of a difference?  Any other comments on the affect of astigmatism with red dots will be appreciated.

I have pretty much decided to go with either the Burris FF3 or the Vortex Venom because they are in the same price range and seem to be tried and true.  And also because Meadow Creek offers them in a combo package ????.  I almost want to go with the Venom 6 MOA but most people I know go with the 3 MOA. I wonder if the 6 MOA dot will be too big and cause too much starburst with my astigmatism.  The green dots do intrigue me because I can see the green better on my bow in low light conditions but probably won’t matter much in the turkey woods.  Thanks for any help and I look forward to joining the red dot gang soon.

Offline Old Timer

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Astigmatism and Red Dots…
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2022, 11:21:45 AM »
Go with the green. Works for me.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 11:23:56 AM »
I have a pretty severe astigmatism and can't use a red dot at all. I had one that adjusted both the size and brightness of the dot and that did not help at all. It also had green dot and that was a bit better but still not good enough that I wanted to hunt with them after that first year of trying, though it was for deer hunting I am not sure if that would make a difference. I have seen others here say the green dot was better for them but it is a case by case preference, I would really suggest going to a gun shop and trying several if they will let you.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 09:52:59 PM »
I’m sure there is a thread somewhere in the forum that would answer my questions, but after several pages of searches, I only have more questions than when I started.  My vision is not too bad but I do have a good bit of astigmatism in both eyes. I plan on going to a red dot sight soon and will be using a Meadow Creek rib mount on an older 20 gauge 870 Express youth model so I don’t have to drill and tap and will be shooting TSS #9. 

From what I’ve read, it appears that astigmatism does affect how you see the red dot.  I also understand that it will affect some more than others.  My questions are does the size of the dot (3 MOA or 6 MOA) make a difference.  Will the 6 MOA cause more of the starburst effect I read about?  Does mounting the sight farther away from your eye like the rib mount will make much of a difference?  Any other comments on the affect of astigmatism with red dots will be appreciated.

I have pretty much decided to go with either the Burris FF3 or the Vortex Venom because they are in the same price range and seem to be tried and true.  And also because Meadow Creek offers them in a combo package ????.  I almost want to go with the Venom 6 MOA but most people I know go with the 3 MOA. I wonder if the 6 MOA dot will be too big and cause too much starburst with my astigmatism.  The green dots do intrigue me because I can see the green better on my bow in low light conditions but probably won’t matter much in the turkey woods.  Thanks for any help and I look forward to joining the red dot gang soon.
Look at Swampfox on the internet and check out the Kingslayer green circle dot .. the smaller circle dot is better and adjusting the brightness can help also. I have the same problem as you and your still going to see a little abnormal dot to some extent.

Offline BBURN

« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2022, 08:58:27 AM »
Appreciate the feedback.  I’ve decided that I’m going to go with a Swampfox green dot.  I was all set to get the Kingslayer green circle dot but when I contacted Meadow Creek Mounts they were currently out of stock.  No big deal because they will be back in stock in a week or so.  However, they do have the Liberty green dot in stock and that is another option that I’m now considering.  I use .010 green fiber optic pins on my bow so I don’t think I’ll have issues with the 3 MOA dot on the Liberty.  I have no idea how I’ll like the circle dot over a single dot, but I do like the fact that the Liberty has a shake-awake feature and the battery compartment on top. 

If anyone who has experience with the Swampfox Liberty or Justice on a turkey gun has any comments or feedback, I’d appreciate it too.  I know I’m overthinking it but for now I think I’m now leaning towards the Liberty over the Kingslayer. 

Offline Big Jeremy

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2022, 12:40:22 PM »
I have a severe astigmatism...I used to use an etched reticle sight/scope, but made the swap to a Swampfox Kingslayer with the green circle dot this past season and loved it. Very low profile, withstood the recoil of a 12 ga. shooting 3" TSS fine, and I was able to see it plenty clearly.

As Greg mentioned, you will likely see some streaking or something slight at some times, depending on the sun for the most part from my experience, but I was always able to have complete confidence in my sight and shots.

Offline Tail Feathers

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2022, 11:46:17 PM »
My red dots flare pretty good on my eyes amd don’t look round at all. I Just got a Kingslayer green circle dot yesterday and it is crisp and clean with no starburst or distortion at all.   I’m a believer now.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!