OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Ammo Storage

Started by rakkin6, July 29, 2022, 11:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakkin6

Hey guys just wanting to your thoughts on something. I store my air tight ammo cans with silica gel packets. Do you guys think it matters if you store ammo vertically or horizontally. Especially TSS and Turkey ammo. Don't think it matters to much with rifle.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

lunghit

I store my TSS horizontal but I never thought about it. I can't see it making a difference but maybe ask Apex or whatever brand you shoot and see what they say.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

rakkin6

Quote from: lunghit on August 04, 2022, 06:26:35 AM
I store my TSS horizontal but I never thought about it. I can't see it making a difference but maybe ask Apex or whatever brand you shoot and see what they say.
My only thought with storing them horizontally was the buffer settling on one side. But maybe not, I will actually send an email to Apex and see what they say bout long term storage. Thanks for the reply.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Roost 1

I would not be concerned with the buffer... depending what powder, wad, hull combo is used you could have powder migration past the wad. If in doubt store them vertically with the primer down to avoid powder migration. 

rakkin6

Quote from: Roost 1 on August 04, 2022, 08:25:40 AM
I would not be concerned with the buffer... depending what powder, wad, hull combo is used you could have powder migration past the wad. If in doubt store them vertically with the primer down to avoid powder migration.
Yeah that's how I have them stored now. I just have a pretty good amount of both 12 and 20 gauge TSS that should last quite a few seasons and with the cost of each shell I want to make sure I do everything on my part to make them last. Thanks for the reply brother.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

lunghit

Let us know what Apex says please.

2eagles

Not tss, just regular 'ol shotgun shells. Buy them buy the case and they are manufactured, shipped, stored and sold horizontally.
Like my pastor says to me sometimes.... You might be overthinking it.

PharmHunter

rakkin6

So I did hear back about the ammo storage question. And they recommended for long term storage over a year or more to store horizontally. And obviously long term to keep in a dry climate etc. So I just thought I would let you guys know. It wasn't a major concern for me, just a shower thought if there was a preferred method and I am a curious person.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

lunghit

Thanks for the update. I live in a very humid area and always have a dehumidifier going during the summer months. Lots of ammo and taxidermy so I know that's very important.

Ranman

I think the main thing is a cool dry place. I had some pistol ammo fail to fire after being in my hot truck for a long time.

rakkin6

Quote from: Ranman on August 07, 2022, 08:43:15 AM
I think the main thing is a cool dry place. I had some pistol ammo fail to fire after being in my hot truck for a long time.
Yeah I already kept my ammo in my bonus room (man cave) in my house so it was climate controlled. And I kept them in the sealable .50 cal plastic ammo cans with silica packets. But I have enough TSS to last a long time now and with the prices I want to make sure I do everything to keep them in good order.

DE OPPRESSO LIBER