OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Longbeard 1.7/8 vs. 1.3/4 oz

Started by longbeards, April 02, 2017, 08:12:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dzsmith

I don't shoot LBs anymore. But yeah most years I shot the 1&3/4 simply because that's what most places had. 1&7/8 were harder to come by. But they did pattern better . I've noticed this with pretty much and load out of my guns. I've never stepped down in load weight and got better results , with that said . I shoot 21" barrel shotguns , so that may play into the velocity issues
"For thy name's sake, O LORD, pardon mine iniquity; for it is great."

owlhoot

Quote from: Ihuntoldschool on May 13, 2022, 04:11:31 AM
"Indeed it does. So are you arguing that the heavier load should pattern better than the lighter, faster load because the heavier load remains subsonic?"

It should. But I have to agree with you in Longbeards it can go either way for whatever reason.  It just varies from gun to gun with some shooting the Magnum load better and others preferring the lighter, faster load.   For availability in these times I settled on the faster load in my gun.  Both the slower and faster loads shoot incredibly well and are the best lead loads you can buy.
Define best? And longbeards are not old school shells................ :TooFunny: :wave:

DMTJAGER

My experience shooting 12ga 3.5" 2oz #4's and 2oz #5's at 1200fps/mv VS 12ga 3.5" 2 1/8oz #5's and 2 1/8oz #4's at 1050fps/mv was the slower 2 1/8oz loads patterned consistently better and put although not a great deal more pellets in a 10" circle at 45 yards, but enough I would use them over the 2oz loads.
This was true for both my 870 Supermag and my Benelli SN

As a matter of fact I just ordered a bunch of 12ga 3.5" 2 1/8oz #5's WLBXR's I found on line in stock today.
Unfortunately I didn't save my targets. I remember being impressed that the 2 1/8oz #5 shot didn't just put more shots in the 10" circle they were noticeably more evenly distributed VS the 2oz #5's.

DMTJAGER

My experience shooting 12ga 3.5" 2oz #4's and 2oz #5's at 1200fps/mv VS 12ga 3.5" 2 1/8oz #5's and 2 1/8oz #4's at 1050fps/mv was the slower 2 1/8oz loads patterned consistently better and put although not a great deal more pellets in a 10" circle at 45 yards, but enough I would use them over the 2oz loads.

As a matter of fact I just ordered a bunch of 12ga 3.5" 2 1/8oz #5's WLBXR's I found on line in stock today.
Unfortunately I didn't save my targets. I remember being impressed that the 2 1/8oz #5 shot didn't just put more shots in the 10" circle they were noticeably more evenly distributed VS the 2oz #5's.

DMTJAGER