OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Planers

Started by gobbler74, June 16, 2011, 11:55:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobbler74

Anyone have a preference? Been thinking on the DeWalt DW735 13 inch 2 Speed Planer. I may have to commit myself on building some other things if I get one. I need one for planing down some chestnut boards for my shop walls. I was first considering a belt sanding planer but figured would look a this too. Dont need anything any bigger.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

lightsoutcalls

I don't know what the model number of my DeWalt Planer is, but it is a 13", but not a 2 speed... as far as I know...   Mine has 3 blades on the cutter head and the blades are replaceable.  Seems like it ran close to $400 at Lowes.  Mine has been great and blades are easy to replace.
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

WillowRidgeCalls

I run a Sears, and have had very good results with it. Blades are easy to sharpen or replace, just a couple of screws and the drum is wide open to get at, just drop the blades in and screw them tight, no adjustment needed. It's been a great planer that planes smooth with very little if any snipe.
Wisconsin Turkey and Turkey Hunting Pro-Staff
Scott

gobbler74

Jointers are also being considered...
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"

lightsoutcalls

As far as jointers, I use a Grizzly... not sure of the model number, but a 6"wide blade.  Honestly, mine needs to have a pulley changed to increase the speed.  Running harder woods (osage, purpleheart, etc.) you can feel a bit of chatter running a board through.  I desperately need to have the blades sharpened on mine, which would likely cut down on the chatter issue... just haven't had time to take them off and dread aligning them afterwards.  I think mine ran around $400 for the jointer as well.  If you have the money to spend, Grizzly builds some jointers with a spiral cutter head.  These have individual replaceable knives about 1/2" square if I remember right.  They can be rotated 90 degrees and you have a new knife edge.  These are supposed to have a very clean cut, but start around the $1,000 range I think. 
Lights Out custom calls - what they're dying to hear!

saint

if you talk to some of the guys at triangle like henry or barry or wesley they should be able to hook you up

gobbler74

If I don't get my own equipment in time, the botetourt tech center will handle it.