turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

NEF Choke for Lead?

Started by Trkmaster88, February 21, 2021, 06:55:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Trkmaster88

Hey guys, I have a 10ga NEF I'm looking to get a decent pattern out of Win XX 2oz #5's. The stock choke shoots them awful. What are some choke recommendations I should get and try out?

the Ward

I have got good, usable patterns with the Kicks .690, and the Puregold .680. Truth be told, it is going to be a struggle with factory lead loads to get really great numbers at 40 yards. The best patterns i have gotten were with the old discontinued rem hevishot #6 and a Puregold .680. Now i haven't tried any of the newer htl ammo, so i have no personal experience with it, but by the info posted here, it shoots good. I would try a wadstripper style choke in the .690-.710 range and you should see a real improvement over the stock choke you have. Good luck in your quest, 10 gauges are fun!

deadbuck

Those shells sound like the Federal 2 oz 5's I tried in both of my 10 ga guns. Pattern was pathetic regardless of the chokes I tried.

tha bugman

I got a Kicks in mine and its blowing a small coffee cup away at 40 yards with just a lead load.

Trkmaster88

Thanks for the feedback guys! Hopefully I can get a decent pattern.

Quote from: tha bugman on February 23, 2021, 06:38:40 PM
I got a Kicks in mine and its blowing a small coffee cup away at 40 yards with just a lead load.

What constriction Kicks are you running?

jerf

I use a Indian creek .710 in my Nef. I handload nickle plated 5 shot and got 176 in the 10 at 40 yards.

Yoder409

Try a Comp-N-Choke XXX-Full (.695").  It's pretty much equally as effective with 5's and 6's.  Tosses some pretty monstrous lead patterns with a 2 oz. load.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

rifleman

I had a Kick's 690 in my NEF 10 ga but I only shot Nitro Company shells.  Shot very tight patterns but that may have been a product of Ray's shells as well.