OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: OPINIONS PLEASE...GOBBLER DOWN  (Read 6661 times)

Online sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: OPINIONS PLEASE...'phase 2 pending'
« Reply #30 on: August 14, 2022, 02:20:22 PM »
I just couldn't stand that hammer sticking up like a roosters head so...I bobbed it. 

Offline jerf

Re: OPINIONS PLEASE...'phase 2' little farther along
« Reply #31 on: August 14, 2022, 02:44:22 PM »
I just put an extension on mine. Have one on my 10 also,

Online sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: OPINIONS PLEASE...'phase 2' little farther along
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2022, 04:05:35 PM »
so, to bring things up to date. I bought an H&R Pardner 12ga with a 27.5" modified barrel. Had the barrel cut to 24"s and threaded for Remington chokes. Bobbed the hammer. Cut the stock down and added a neoprene slip on that I stripped the insides out of and replaced with a Limbsaver screw on that just wouldn't line up for a perfect fit directly on the wood. LOP is now 13.5"s which is my perfect fit. I then added sling studs and an ammo sleeve. I'm going to stick with the bead cause that's how it was done back when I was a kid. Now, the last thing is camo. I have lot's of options but I'm thinking I'll just do No-Mar camo tape on the barrel and be done with it but.....I sure do like spraying stuff. It might be a while but I will definitely add a picture of the finished product.  Thanks everyone for going along with me on this journey.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: OPINIONS PLEASE...'latest update'
« Reply #33 on: August 17, 2022, 04:44:53 PM »
Looks great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2022, 03:30:07 PM »
with deer gun season around the corner I went to our range to check the rifles and took the project H&R along. this pattern is at 40 yards with LB #6's. the wind was howling but even at 12 yards it was a little low and a little to the right. I tried four different chokes and three different brands of ammo and the results were the same, low and right. I like the pattern but need the POA-POI adjusted. I know how I have done it many years ago but any "modern" ideas will be appreciated.

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2023, 07:44:53 PM »
Love those NEF/H&R's! Make great turkey guns. Had my 20 ga topper threaded last winter. As far as your poi issue. I'd have gunsmith install adjustable rifle sights or mount a small red dot. Id skip camo and keep the original finish I think it looks good as is.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2023, 12:43:56 PM »
Great looking pattern. Depending how hard the wind was blowing, I would try shooting again on
a calm day to see where it's going. Wind can sometimes play havoc, especially with lighter bb's
like 6's. If it's still off, you could always use some different thickness of Cheekeze pad, which should
raise the impact up and left. A nice set of older metal 870 adjustable sights like they used on slug
gun barrels would work good too, and look perfect on it, I think.

Online sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: OPINIONS PLEASE...'latest update' choke time
« Reply #37 on: February 19, 2023, 03:50:49 PM »
well I'm back on the project H&R. other than some camo on the barrel I'm ready to head back to the bench. looking for a .670 choke tube. anyone know where I might find one?

thanks in advance
« Last Edit: March 27, 2023, 03:22:15 PM by sswv »

Online sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: OPINIONS PLEASE...'another update' new bench
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2023, 03:19:09 PM »
Hello All!  I'm back with another update on the H&R build. The gun is ready to go to the range again with another pile of 3" Longbeard #6's and 5 choke tubes later this week. I have these to try... a .660, .662, .664, .665 and a .667 all cleaned and ready. My buddy said our bench was falling apart so Saturday with a bunch of used scraps I put a new one together. Hopefully by this weekend I'll have pattern pics along with the woods ready partially camo H&R. This has been a long process and a lot of fun sharing the different steps with y'all.  Just wouldn't be right not to show the new (made from scraps) shooting bench. 

Offline TrackeySauresRex

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2023, 05:42:45 PM »
Nice work  :icon_thumright:
"If You Call Them,They Will Come."

Offline cannonball

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2023, 09:29:22 PM »
You should definitely find a choke it likes with all the ones you have to try. The pattern you posted looked fine and will easily kill a turkey but I can’t blame you wanting to upgrade. If you haven’t put the camo on it yet, consider a vinyl wrap. There are lots of different patterns you can buy. I just did my Mossberg 500 in Mossy Oak Greenleaf and it turned out great.

Offline ShortMagFan

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2023, 09:40:40 AM »
I’d go Stevens 301 COMPACT

Have it drilled and tapped for a fastfire 3

Remove the safety and plug the hole somehow

Rattle can paint job

All you’d ever need. I’m seriously considering this myself even though I love my tricked out Benelli M2

Online sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2023, 12:07:25 PM »
hey ShortMagFan. that's actually my next project. have a guy with the 26" 301T in 20ga with a Red Dot pretty reasonable but I'm wanting that compact.

Offline ShortMagFan

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2023, 08:19:40 AM »
I’m a short armed guy but once I started hunting with “compact” shotguns I can’t imagine going back to a full stocked gun.

And with the way regulations and bag limits are heading there isn’t much need for more than a single shot. If I miss him somehow that just means I get to keep hunting

Online sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #44 on: March 29, 2023, 08:43:23 AM »
I agree SMF.  all my long guns have the LOP shortened to my liking.