OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: OPINIONS PLEASE...GOBBLER DOWN  (Read 6657 times)

Offline sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: OPINIONS PLEASE...
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2022, 07:59:41 PM »
that is one fine shotgun jerf. 

Offline jerf

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2022, 08:20:07 PM »
Thank you.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #17 on: August 01, 2022, 08:18:31 AM »
FWIW............   The NEF is built like the proverbial brick outhouse.  They've been around forever.  Parts are everywhere.  They just WORK.

Between me and my kids, we have 4 of them set up in 20 gauge.  Had William at SumToy run them through his shop and they are BAD TO THE BONE.   We shoot the old skool Federal Heavy 7's.  But the TSS stuff is a step up from that.   There are at leats 5 other dedicated and tricked out turkey guns sitting in the same safe as my NEF 20..............3", 3.5" 12 gauges in pump and semi and a 10 gauge pump.  They sit.  The NEF goes hunting.  I also have a 22" NEF 12 gauge barrel with factory sights.  It would drop right on to any of our receivers.  It sits on the shelf. 

If I were bent on a 12 gauge NEF.......... I'd send it to SumToy and have him set it up to shoot 2.75"  Longbeard XR's.

PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #18 on: August 01, 2022, 09:14:31 AM »
Thanks for sharing pics of your turkey guns. Those are some nice, well thought out hunting rigs!

Offline sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: OPINIONS PLEASE...'UPDATE'
« Reply #19 on: August 01, 2022, 05:18:58 PM »
first off...thanks everyone for the pictures and the opinions. today I scored an H&R Pardner 12ga with a 27.5" modified barrel that looks like you just took it out of the box brand spanking new. earlier today I bought a Winchester 370 in 12ga with a 30" full choke barrel for $100 and a game camera which I had $20.00 invested in. I then stopped by a local gun shop and swapped the Winchester (heads up) for the H&R. I'm guessing they're really impressed with the Winchesters anyway, I can't find as much as a fingerprint on the H&R. Now, here's where it gets better. the local gun shop actually has a gunsmith shop with a very well seasoned gunsmith that I've known for nearly 50 years. He's gonna cut it down to 24"s and thread it for RemChokes for $60.00. to say I'm excited is an understatement. here's the gun today. when it's all done I'll post the after picture.  I'll be in the market for a few more RemChoke turkey tubes for getting it figured out. again, thank everyone for taking part in this venture with me

Offline jerf

« Reply #20 on: August 01, 2022, 08:03:23 PM »
You will love it.

Offline sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: August 01, 2022, 09:48:50 PM »
I'm sure I will jerf. I'm looking high and low for a stock exactly like the one on jerf's gun. if anyone has one or a lead on one please let me know. it looks exactly like the stocks on my 870's and I really like them.

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #22 on: August 01, 2022, 11:10:30 PM »
Nice gun and good pickup,
I would rather have this gun than the 301

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #23 on: August 03, 2022, 08:16:01 AM »
Congrats on the find sswv, looks like a great gun. Looking forward to seeing how your
project   turns out.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #24 on: August 03, 2022, 08:51:40 AM »
Great find and sounds like you got a pretty good deal! Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Offline sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: OPINIONS PLEASE...'phase 1 complete'
« Reply #25 on: August 04, 2022, 12:04:06 PM »
well...phase 1 is complete.  barrel cut to 24's and threaded for Remington choke tubes. next phase is a new stock & forearm.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: OPINIONS PLEASE...'phase 1 complete'
« Reply #26 on: August 05, 2022, 12:01:39 PM »
well...phase 1 is complete.  barrel cut to 24's and threaded for Remington choke tubes. next phase is a new stock & forearm.

:z-guntootsmiley: Awesome!

Offline sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: OPINIONS PLEASE...'phase 2 pending'
« Reply #27 on: August 05, 2022, 03:20:39 PM »
got the new (to me) stock & forearm mounted today 'phase 2' and it's pretty awesome but I'm kinda leaning towards the traditional polk stock look with the factory wood set. anyway, it's something to kick around while I'm thinking about what type sight(s) and camo.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #28 on: August 05, 2022, 03:56:16 PM »
I like the looks of the wood stocks better, but those synthetics might be more functional for your use.
Only you will be able to decide that. Really cool project, thanks for posting and sharing it with us!

Offline crow

• Double Beard
« Reply #29 on: August 05, 2022, 04:17:12 PM »
Oh the horror, the horror.

I like the wood stocks better also, much better,
they are a nice looking set from what your picture shows.

maybe add a limb saver pad to the wood if recoil is an issue, but that wood stock will disappear sitting in the shade up against a tree