turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SS Customs Short Box

Started by mountainhunter1, July 25, 2022, 03:16:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mountainhunter1

I just received a SS Customs short box in bloodwood over Mahagony, and I am very pleased. First short box built by Mr. Al that I have gotten personally, and the box looks spectacular, and it gives really good sound on both sides of the box. I have just run it for the first time and am immediately getting three different hens out of it, and likely may get another hen out of the weak hand side once I get a bit more comfortable with the box. I was able to talk to Mr. Al on the phone one day last week and he was very helpful in answering my questions.  I look forward to hopefully adding another box or two and a couple of scratch boxes from SS in the coming days.     Also, I want to thank Yelper for strongly recommending that I try out Mr. Al's work.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

turkey stew

Congrats on the SSCustom short box.  They all run turkey! Get one of their paddle calls and scratchers. You will not be disappointed!

King Cobra

Al and Josh do a fantastic job with everything they make. I own a few of their boxes but my favorite is a bloodwood over mahogany short box that I never had to chalk this past season. High pitched front end with a throaty finish that makes crisp sharp cuts that sound fantastic. 
Best of all they are Good People !!!
Thanks to all who share this great passion and the wealth of knowledge you bring to this board.

Greg Massey

Congrats on your new box.. they build some really nice calls.

TJ3152

I also have a bloodwood over mahogany SS short box and will agree it sounds fantastic! Goes in my vest often. My son has their longbox and it is an excellent paddle call. I also use an SS scratch box which is deadly as well. Al and Josh are great call makers and great to deal with!

SS Calls

Thanks for the kind words guys! Much appreciated! Glad you like the calls. Best of luck in the turkey woods.  :turkey2:

Turkeybutt

Congrats on your new call. I don't own a SS Call but I understand they make a good one.

Beards and Hooks

Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 30, 2022, 12:31:34 PM
Congrats on your new call. I don't own a SS Call but I understand they make a good one.
If you like boxes you should try them out Steve, think I have 4 made by Al and Josh. I also have I think 7 scratch boxes, great guys and calls!

Jroddc

Quote from: Turkeybutt on July 30, 2022, 12:31:34 PM
You definitely need to get a few. They're killers!

3bailey3

you guys are forgetting one of their callers, Al and Josh make a killer hen box, you guys need to try one of them out, I love mine...

Zobo

You'd be hard pressed to find a better value in a box call than a SS. And really, they're as good as any regardless of price.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

mountainhunter1

Quote from: Zobo on August 06, 2022, 10:45:10 PM
You'd be hard pressed to find a better value in a box call than a SS. And really, they're as good as any regardless of price.

Have to agree, a box call from Al/Josh is money well spent.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Quote from: turkey stew on July 25, 2022, 06:04:27 PM
Congrats on the SSCustom short box.  They all run turkey! Get one of their paddle calls and scratchers. You will not be disappointed!
I concur! I love my long box.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

Sim1982

They make a killer box jammed full of turkey I plan on adding a few more to the collection over the winter

Meyerkbw

I've got a Suriname over magnolia and purpleheart over poplar boxes. Both are amazing!