OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey info wanted.  (Read 1174 times)

Offline jb1069

Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey info wanted.
« on: July 25, 2022, 12:14:05 PM »
I've read all the reviews on here and the internet on this gun, I am just wandering if anyone has anymore information they care to share. Reading a couple of comments on here it seemed there was some debate on the loading procedure. Has this been proven that it it has to be loaded a certain way or was this not the case? Does anyone care to share the choke tubes and loads they are using? Pictures of patterns? Thank you for any input.

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Mossberg 940 Pro Turkey info wanted.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2022, 05:22:53 PM »
Hookedonhooks has one and loves it!!

https://www.tndeer.com/threads/trade-for-nice-20ga%E2%80%94-mossberg-940-pro-turkey.421349/#post-5382902

I think this one could be easily bought. It was posted for $800 before the trade talk.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2022, 06:17:46 PM »
I'm currently still experimenting with some TSS loads/choke combo's but I hunted mine hard this year to put it through the ringer and it proved to be everything I could want in a turkey gun. I hunted LBXR 3" #5's with an Indian Creek Invector #001 .660 with fantastic results out to 50 yards. This choke is too tight though for the 3" 2 1/4 oz Apex loads for sure and resulted in a lot of pattern blowout, that's where I'm still experimenting. The gun patterned and hunted great all season long and killed a pile of turkeys at varying ranges. The Holosun 507k fits the co-witness recessed mount like a glove and is a high quality optic that held up great throughout the season hunting 40+ days as well.

I would highly recommend this gun to anyone looking for a new turkey gun that shoots TSS or is comfortable with 3" lead shells. Mossberg reps said that they may be coming out with a 20 gauge in the future to add to the line but I wouldn't expect anything by next season.

My gun did have some loading nuances, but it wasn't a deal breaker. Thoroughly enjoyed toting it this season, and I hunted with a bunch of guys  that loved it as well, a couple of them are now owners of one they liked it so much.

Offline jb1069

« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2022, 08:27:53 AM »
Thank you for the information. Do you care to expand on the loading issues? This is the only thing that is holding me back at this point. If it is just simply you have to load it a certain way I can deal with that, but if it is a circus act to load every time i'm not sure I want those issues. Thanks again for all the input.

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2022, 08:49:56 AM »
Thank you for the information. Do you care to expand on the loading issues? This is the only thing that is holding me back at this point. If it is just simply you have to load it a certain way I can deal with that, but if it is a circus act to load every time i'm not sure I want those issues. Thanks again for all the input.
With my gun I had to open the bolt, put a shell in the chamber, close the bolt and then load the 2nd and 3rd shells into the tube. When tried to load by putting two into the tube and using the bolt to feed a shell from the tube it double fed the tube and would jam the gun at the feed ramp. The latter method was how I have always loaded a shotgun from experience and why it was a bit funny to me at first, but after jamming it only a time or two I just changed my order of operations and had no issues moving forward. The gun never had an issue cycling shells while in operation.

I think my gun might be one of the few that do this, because others reported no issue, but it has something to do with the design that allows for dumping of the entire tube for faster unloading. Wasn't a big enough to deal to contact Mossberg in my opinion because it didn't overly effect operation or functionally of the gun for shooting purposes that I needed.