OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Which do you prefer? Little Q A

Started by Greg Massey, July 16, 2022, 04:17:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Greg Massey

Which do you enjoy playing, a handle spring box or a non handle spring box? Do you think the handle short box has more of a consistent sound over a non handle box? Do you feel a handle box gives you more control versus non handle? Do you think you can kee kee better on a short handle box?

ChesterCopperpot

I'm no box man by any stretch of the imagination but I carry a short box late season for gobbling and I greatly prefer no handle. Handle feels like my hands are fighting each other. I like Cost style short boxes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3bailey3

Zobo

I also prefer no handle. I feel I have more control when I'm gripping the bottom of the box. I can grip tighter or looser to change sound a bit or put slight pressure on the side rail to dreaded the sound when needed. Also it's easier for me to "tap cut" and fly down cackle without a handle
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Sir-diealot

I am also finding that I prefer no handle and I do not know that I would say I like them more, but I do have more experience with ones with springs than without so I am more comfortable. I think the only one I have with no spring is my Hen Box. On a side note I find that I when I am playing ones with handles I tend to play them overhanded as opposed to underhanded.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

No handle, it gives me more feel and control.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

HookedonHooks

A handled shortbox isn't going to Kee Kee any easier than a regular shortbox unless it's tuned to a higher pitch and made to kee. Shortboxes in general aren't meant to do a whole lot of kee keeing, at least that's not where they excel. You get a kee with ease on a longbox because the range of throw of the paddle.

That being said, I probably prefer a standard shortbox like most here, but it's not really a big difference to me either way. A good handled shortbox is just that, I do find gobbling on a non-handled call seems consistently better to me for how I play a call for some reason.

paboxcall

Advantage of a handle for me is control, especially when running super soft and quiet. In the end, I'll take a handle every time short or long, all but two short boxes have left the building in my collection.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

MDTOM84

Quote from: paboxcall on July 18, 2022, 05:39:06 PM
Advantage of a handle for me is control, especially when running super soft and quiet. In the end, I'll take a handle every time short or long, all but two short boxes have left the building in my collection.
Bingo!!!

davisd9

I will not use a box with a handle. Maybe it is because I learned on one without a handle but I feel I can do more without the handle than with.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Yoder409

Doesn't matter to me.  Just give me a call that is tuned well. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.