OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Some more folk art......

Started by Tarheel, July 11, 2022, 02:48:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gawhitaker

GobbleGitr

The sound file you recently did was great-and the artwork is a beautiful way to add appeal to the hunter.  I love it

Tarheel

Thank you for the kind words.....

EZ

Wow, those are really cool. I love that folk art and the "Wingbone" hunter in particular. Let me know if you ever do one of those again!!!

Cut N Run

Beautiful work!  Fine looking calls there.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

ferocious calls

Sim1982

Tarheel

Thank you all for the compliments and kind words.  I have had the pleasure of seeing these calls going all over the United States.  Hopefully, some day I will get back pictures of these calls with dead turkeys and get to hear stories of them actually being hunted.

Tarheel

Just finished up the woodburning on one of a pair of regular Turpin style boxes.  I've tried to do a little something different by continuing a hunting scene through a time sequence on two separate boxes while trying to capture some of the old traditions of turkey hunting.  The turkey hunter doing the calling is using a wingbone.  Since the scene depicts a time before camouflage, a blind was often built to hide the hunters.  The picture does not do the call fair justice....

Ranger

Absolutely beautiful Mr Marvin. What a scene indeed!  True folk art on gobbler killing tools
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Tarheel

This is the second box of the pair.....

Colton2020

Looks great Mr Marvin

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

turkey stew

Marvin, I really enjoy your calls and folk art.

silvestris

I especially enjoyed the caller and shooter illustration.  Reminds me of the photos/drawings in the old wildlife magazines.  And I mean old.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Tarheel

Silvestris,
The etching in the picture was done by Lassell Ripley, who was a well-known wildlife artist from NYC.  Frank Harper lived in Raleigh, NC, and was a member of the Roanoke-Tar River Gun Club that leased land on the Roanoke River.  Ripley and Harper were good friends, and Ripley came down often to turkey hunt with Harper on the Roanoke River.  Harper is doing the calling, and Ripley is doing the shooting.  This all happened back in the 1950s-60s.  It was during this same period just upriver on another tract I received my introduction to the wild turkey.  Sixty years is a while back.....