OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What's up guys  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
What's up guys
« on: July 09, 2022, 03:36:24 PM »
It's Saturday....just shooting out a heads up about what I've been up to , what I'm going to do etc...this will be long , but I like to use communication like I do at my real work to make things run smoothly, same here on the forum

No calls available today ... possibly tomorrow, when I make a post that's when that's going to be sorted out ..the following weekend will be zero calls made , I'm headed to Atlanta with the trailer for my wife's trade show expo , I'm the designated trailer hailer , tradeshow seter-uper , baby sitter and designated beefjerkey and red-bull digester for a few days

Just a heads up , I totally tweaked and tuned out all the calls I made on Sunday last week and...nothing goes out untill it's ready to kill , so to all the new owners , please kill some nice ones with them !

I just now , placed a order of "material" some of the stuff I use is real hard to source, and the price of the woods has skyrocketed recently..so I'm going to have enough to be set well into next season..that's the good news ...I'll try and make a few more pushpins ...but come September, all hell breaks loose as my other business of making duck call whistles totally blows up like crazy 

I am also a utterly fanatical waterfowl hunter ...we have a species of duck down here in Florida called a black bellied whistling duck...it's actually a goose ....but it makes a very high pitched raspy whistle ..I perfected after over a decade of research and development a specific call for them a few years ago and I literally cant make these fast enough...if that doesn't keep be busy enough I spent a full year of my time perfecting a specific Wigeon whistle..it's the first of it's kind -and that too has totally gone off like a keg of dynamite

My typical yearly cycle is...making duck calls September till January...but I get slammed with orders and keep going till spring where I'm busy making turkey calls and running the site this year I really concentrated on getting turkey calls into the hands of real turkey hunters ...I had to come up with some crazy zig zag disco moves to dodge call resellers and collectors...but in the end I'm in a position to target my preferred customers and that is turkey hunters ... I got real tired of people contacting me saying they purchased my calls from a middleman with a middleman markup , or getting the feeling they would end up in a cabinet instead of a vest ...if your offended by that ...TUFF Sh-T I'm selling to turkey hunters first ...if I open up a list again , that will open the doors up to the shenanigans again ...no list folks , this is better for YOU

I've known alot of turkey callmakers in my time , some very very famous  , some helped me , some I helped ..alot of callmakers I admittedly helped sell a lot of calls over the years ... I paid alot of dues with the Pushpin thing , I spent years toiling away spending untold hours and sums of $ to get it figured out , I'm literally thinking of making a book about the "secret sauce" of making them as I feel the design has unbelievable potential-

in 2 to 5 years time I will be fully retired from UPS ...and long gone will be waking up at 5:45 am and returning home at 8 pm or later , I'm gonna miss the place , but life goes on and I'll be able to finally relax for once iny life ...and also spend some time with the family ...make more calls than just weekends too

Thanks Shannon
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: What's up guys
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2022, 03:37:45 PM »

-Shannon

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2022, 03:43:55 PM »

-Shannon

Offline ar21angler

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2022, 03:49:29 PM »
The black bellied whistling duck. In El Salvadoe we coome them piche ches because of the whistling sound they make. We get a few here in Arkansas. awesome pictures

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2022, 03:56:20 PM »
Thanks Shannon. You gave and continue to give us all opportunities to get our hands on one of your push pins. We thank you, enjoy your summer……
“Solo hunter”

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #5 on: July 09, 2022, 04:28:46 PM »
Those are some dandy sprigs for Florida! We hardly even get those around here in Kansas by me last few years. Tons of Wigeon though, might have to check out one of the whistles for our late season duck push.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #6 on: July 09, 2022, 04:44:27 PM »
Thanks for all you do Shannon, glad I finally got my hands on one of your push/pins. Some great ducks pics
and believe me you will not miss that brown trucks.

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: July 09, 2022, 05:34:09 PM »
Shannon thanks for being a call provider to us turkey hunters. Your push pin call speaks for themselves the craftsmanship to detail of the push pin is nothing but quality. Now for the forum, it's the best forum period. A lot of us have met and become life long friends just because of this forum. This forum gives us a place to ask questions share information and explore the history of hunting these gobblers. Again i thank you and all yearly members and seasonal members on this forum for sharing a wealth of knowledge. Good or bad we all love turkey hunting. Thanks for sharing your pictures with all of us. I'm going to have to get me one of those whistles they look awesome. Congratulations on your accomplishments. I can tell you from experience retirement is awesome. Good Bless

Online Tyoung

« Reply #8 on: July 09, 2022, 06:43:59 PM »
Thank you for your time and energy to help us out!!  Amazing works of art!  You will love retirement!

Offline JeffC

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2022, 07:49:22 PM »
Thank you Shannon for all that you do for us turkey fanatics. So, when do you have time to work on the VW bus? Safe travels. 
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Online Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2022, 08:40:37 PM »
You don’t have to explain jack to any collectors or anybody for that matter. Its really good that you’re trying your best to make it fair for real hunters. I’m looking forward to waterfowling too. Nice pics and cool looking whistles!
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14