OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Mag-10 Choke for #4-5 Lead?

Started by Loyalist84, July 03, 2022, 03:03:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Loyalist84

Hi All,

I picked up a Mag-10 Supreme last week, the barrel had already been cut down to a cylinder choke at 27 3/8 for steel shot waterfowling by its previous owner. I can get it threaded in Canada for Thin-Wall Brileys, but I was wondering if anyone had a recommendation on a constriction for a custom choke? I'll probably be shooting 5 Winchester Double X or #4 Remington Premiers until I get into handloading for it, at which time the shot size will stay the same....not really interested in turning it into an HTL gun currently.

Thoughts?

A great all around turkey constriction in the 10ga. is .705".  I use a .705" Hastings in my Mag 10 Supreme that has a Rem SP10 Rem Choke barrel installed. I also have a Spanish made SxS 10ga. that has Briley thin wall chokes and use .705" in it also. That constriction works with the available lead #4 and #5 loads extremely well.

the Ward

I am currently shooting a .710 Indian creek in my bps10 with a 24" barrel. Shoots good with both
winchester an remington lead loads. Not too tight, not too open, nice and even, which is what i wanted
with this gun, since i am using only front bead sight. Winchesters shot markedly better than the remingtons, but remingtons were 4's, and the winchesters were 5's though. Both loads would do the job at 40 yards fine. Lot of good chokes out there, you will just have to decide the range you want to shoot, and what load your going to use. Sumtoy could probably make you a custom choke tailored to what you want, but I am unsure if gun parts like chokes can be imported into Canada.

Old Gobbler

I have the same exact Ithaca threaded for thin wall brieleys

Do yourself a favor...send it to William at Sumtoy customs ...he put a .685 in mine and it shot better than any turkey gun I've ever shot my life

He has the thread program to do briely , and do it better than anyone in the country
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon