OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Gizzard Stones

Started by spurred63, July 01, 2022, 11:54:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spurred63

Found out before this season that some hunters save the gizzard stones from the turkeys they've killed. Thought I would share this with those members that might not be aware of this. I saved mine from the the birds I took this year and put them in a small jar. Pretty Cool! Wish I would have thought about saving them over the years.

eddie234

Yes, I've seen where some guys have whole mason jars full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Ranger

Some places it might take 40 birds to fill a quart jar and in some mountain terrain 15-20 birds could fill one.  I like to keep them individually until seasons end, then add them to larger jars based on subspecies. What the Merriam lacks in gobble he can make up in stones.
"One can work for his gobbler by learning to communicate with him, or one can 'buy' his turkey with a decoy.  The choice is up to the 'hunter' " --William Yarbrough

Bk2outdoors

This is something I started doing this year and wished I'd been saving the whole time!  I keep mine in a glass wild Turkey whiskey bottle.

Boykin Hollow

I just learned something new.  Wish someone would post picture of theirs !!!

WV Flopper

I use mine to surround my hot tub. Makes for a nice soft, good looking area around our 12'X12' hot tub. Lay brown fabric down before laying the stones. In case someone slips you don't see the bare spot quite as bad.

I used to store mine in Wild Turkey 101 barrels, if anyone wants some I have 10 or so barrels I may part with for a price for a gate price. You'll have to pick up here, I am not shipping.

eggshell

A friend found a diamond ring in a gizzard....true story

spurred63

Quote from: Boykin Hollow on July 01, 2022, 07:49:46 PM
I just learned something new.  Wish someone would post picture of theirs !!!
I tried posting picture even after I reduced the file, still had issues.

spurred63

Quote from: eggshell on July 02, 2022, 06:30:21 AM
A friend found a diamond ring in a gizzard....true story
That's a trophy of many lifetimes!

quavers59

I have a small Bowl with Gizzard Stones.

crow

Quote from: quavers59 on July 02, 2022, 06:50:43 PM
  I have a small Bowl with Gizzard Stones.

Thats kind of TMI, but at least you don't have a small gizzard with gaul stones

quavers59

Took some Gobblers in the " Black Dirt" area of New York  and in addition to the Gizzard Stones- the Crop was chock full of Onion Seeds. Onion is king in this area as a Crop.

MISSISSIPPI Double beard

Here's a couple in some small bottles from the past season.
They call him...Kenny..Kenny

spurred63

Very cool, thanks for sharing!

Turkeybutt

Look at Unique Turkey Trophy Topic. It has a good video.