turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Marlin Watkins favorite?

Started by WW, July 01, 2022, 09:55:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

WW

What's your favorite box call combo from Marlin? My bloodwood over butternut sounds the  best that I've got from him.

Yoder409

Macassar over persimmon is my favorite.

But I've YET to find a BAD combo................    :icon_thumright:
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

MDTOM84

#1a Hop horn over cherry
#1b hop horn over mahogany

Greg Massey

I like all of mine, different combos have different tones and sounds.

wchadw

Hophorn and walnut fiddlebox
Cedar and wormy butternut long

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

HookedonHooks

Too evolving of a perspective to definitively answer with just one. Some days a call just hits the ears right and other days it's other combinations.

I don't have any bad calls from Marlin, but some are better than others as far as playability or scale of turkeys packed into the box, but they're definitely all good.

Yoder409

Quote from: wchadw on July 01, 2022, 03:27:39 PM

Hophorn and walnut fiddlebox
Cedar and wormy butternut long

I have #279

Paddle caller made from the same batch of (Swiss cheese) butternut.   Great caller !!!
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Wvgobbler

Whatever the gobblers responds to on any giving day... That being said I've never played a Marlin Watkins that didn't sound good.

TJ3152

Long time reader and first time poster. I've got two Watkins boxes, a blood wood over butternut fiddle call and a yellowheart over black gum paddle call. There's at least 6 different birds in the longbox. I use these on just about every hunt and both are killers for sure.

Zobo

I don't know if it's more effective because I use it more, or I use it more because it's more effective but I usually reach for macassar over persimmon fiddlebox.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Yoder409

Quote from: Zobo on July 05, 2022, 09:30:08 PM
I don't know if it's more effective because I use it more, or I use it more because it's more effective but I usually reach for macassar over persimmon fiddlebox.

Is yours bridged ??
PA elitist since 1979

Zobo

Quote from: Yoder409 on July 07, 2022, 08:10:10 AM

Is yours bridged ??

No it's just the standard style fiddlebox. I've seen the bridged, looks pretty cool, what is that for, is it for better tuning?
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Spitten and drummen

" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

vt35mag

Quote from: Zobo on July 07, 2022, 11:39:24 PM
Quote from: Yoder409 on July 07, 2022, 08:10:10 AM

Is yours bridged ??

No it's just the standard style fiddlebox. I've seen the bridged, looks pretty cool, what is that for, is it for better tuning?

He thinned the sides of the box down too much, so bridging them together with dowels stiffens them back up.

Sim1982

Snakewood over holly fiddle box and hophorn beam over mineral poplar a close second