turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Yildiz 20g youth Sumtoy .562 & .580

Started by Jordan121787, June 30, 2022, 06:07:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jordan121787

Got my meadow creek mount in today so I decided to tinker a little bit in the heat. I had some TSS from last season that I wanted to pattern out with this set up. Top barrel is a Sumtoy .562 and the bottom barrel is a Sumtoy .580. On the shots with the lead loads at 20 yards the POA was right at the base of the neck. Same with the top barrel at 40...right at the base of the neck. I was shooting on bags so I did pull some I'm sure. I noticed the apex shot a tiny bit left and the Wilson's custom loads shot a little right. I did shoot a TSS  load at 40 yards with the bottom barrel and I was aiming right at the skull. I will tinker with some more different TSS rounds next year before I fine tune the red dot. I really need to get a lead sled. I'm loving this light set up! I'd really like to try some LBXRs # 6s in the bottom barrel. This gun is comically light and short.

wchadw

I run this same gun with Sumtoy 562 and 585
Trijicon rmr on Sumtoy mount.
Shot hand load 9s and golden pheasant 7 lead out of 585

Love it. Super light and short

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jordan121787

Quote from: wchadw on June 30, 2022, 08:14:10 PM

Lol I know! Your gun inspired me to buy mine haha. Where do you find your pheasant loads.

wchadw

Quote from: Jordan121787 on June 30, 2022, 09:40:24 PM
Quote from: wchadw on June 30, 2022, 08:14:10 PM

Lol I know! Your gun inspired me to buy mine haha. Where do you find your pheasant loads.
I bought them before Covid online somewhere.

mountainhunter1

I would not hesitate to hunt with either the .562 or the .585 with those type patterns. Amazing at how dense that core is on the .585 at forty, and your gun seemed to really like those 10's as that is to me the best pattern (even though there is nothing wrong with the patterns with the 9's and the 9.5's).

It seems from some of the testing that is now being done, that those ten's penetrate a lot better than some thought originally. Blue Collar outdoors is getting 3.25-3.50 inches penetration with ten's in ballistic gel at forty yards, and the word is that one only needs an inch to maybe an inch and a half of penetration in gel to know that it will kill a turkey. I'm not promoting long shooting as I like a bird inside forty as a personal preference, but it would seem that the ten's will still be plenty good at fifty and sixty yards based on their results if one misjudged the distance (it will eventually happen to all of us). They are going to test them at those longer ranges of 50 and 60 yards in the coming weeks to give more concrete conclusions. So, if that interests you, just maybe keep an eye out for their results. Thanks for sharing as I love to see what different guns/constrictions will do with similar loads.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13