OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Winchester SX4 Indian Creek .562  (Read 3470 times)

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
Winchester SX4 Indian Creek .562
« on: June 29, 2022, 04:37:41 PM »
20 gauge Winchester SX4 with Apex 3" number 9's in a 24" barrel. I first sighted in the new FF3 with field loads at 10 yards. I cleaned the barrel and shot two more times cleaning in between shots at 40 yards. The first time I got 309 hits the second shot got 349 hits. I then cleaned the barrel again and took a shot at 20 yards at a turkey head target. I adjusted for the slight right shot pattern so in the spring when I shoot again I should be dead on. Don't mind the multiple black dots, they were used as reference to move the red dot to the center of the pattern.

"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

Offline fishr64

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Winchester SX4 Indian Creek .562
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2022, 08:15:35 PM »
Looking good! You have me thinking that I need a new gun.  :icon_thumright:

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2022, 08:41:31 PM »
Looking good! You have me thinking that I need a new gun.  :icon_thumright:
Haha go for it! Nothing beats new toys.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2022, 11:27:17 AM by lunghit »

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2022, 06:56:03 PM »
That is a good looking gun. I like the looks of that a lot and it is shooting really good. I wonder if you could draw the outer 20 inch circle and count what is in both of those at forty yards? I'm just really curious as I am fixing to get another IC choke and from our testing the .555 is just too tight for real world hunting (one of the 20 gauge guns with the .555 is putting 400 plus in the ten, but barely a 120 in the twenty)  - so I was torn between opening it up to the .562 or the .570. I would love to get around 300 plus in the ten and 225-230 or more in the 20. That to me would be the ideal pattern. I talked to IC this week and they recommended that I go with the .570 to get that desired pattern. I like a good 20" in some ways almost as much as a good 10" pattern. But I was just curious about your 20" because with a .562 your ten circle look awesome. Either way, Thanks for sharing.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Romans 6:23, Romans 10:13

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2022, 12:25:11 PM »
That is a good looking gun. I like the looks of that a lot and it is shooting really good. I wonder if you could draw the outer 20 inch circle and count what is in both of those at forty yards? I'm just really curious as I am fixing to get another IC choke and from our testing the .555 is just too tight for real world hunting (one of the 20 gauge guns with the .555 is putting 400 plus in the ten, but barely a 120 in the twenty)  - so I was torn between opening it up to the .562 or the .570. I would love to get around 300 plus in the ten and 225-230 or more in the 20. That to me would be the ideal pattern. I talked to IC this week and they recommended that I go with the .570 to get that desired pattern. I like a good 20" in some ways almost as much as a good 10" pattern. But I was just curious about your 20" because with a .562 your ten circle look awesome. Either way, Thanks for sharing.
Sorry mountainhunter I can’t believe I just saw this. I apologize that I didn’t count the 20 for you because I tossed those targets. I plan on doing some more testing with the .562 and .570 and I will definitely keep you informed and post some pics. Might have to wait for some cooler weather though. I tested the IC 570 in my SX3 (just one or two shots) and had over 300 in the 10 but also did not count the 20. Once the weather cools I’ll do some testing. I really had excellent luck with any IC choke I have owned. They just really perform.

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2022, 09:45:15 AM »
Sorry mountainhunter I can’t believe I just saw this. I apologize that I didn’t count the 20 for you because I tossed those targets. I plan on doing some more testing with the .562 and .570 and I will definitely keep you informed and post some pics. Might have to wait for some cooler weather though. I tested the IC 570 in my SX3 (just one or two shots) and had over 300 in the 10 but also did not count the 20. Once the weather cools I’ll do some testing. I really had excellent luck with any IC choke I have owned. They just really perform.

No problem, your posts helped give me more idea of what to expect as I open my gun up a bit more, especially that you are still over 300 in the ten with the .570 IC.   Just curious, when you say over 300, was it just barely over 300, or was it throwing well beyond 300 like your .562 was? Anything around 300 or more would be fine as I am not chasing extreme numbers, but I was just curious. I may just spring for the .570 as my first adjustment but would love to see your full patterns if you shoot some more. I am taking the same approach, wanting some cooler weather before I do any more shooting where the air temperature is closer to what it will be on a spring morning in the turkey woods. Thanks again for sharing your results.
"I said to the Lord, "You are my Master! Everything good thing I have comes from You." (Psalm 16:2)

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2022, 01:35:46 PM »

No problem, your posts helped give me more idea of what to expect as I open my gun up a bit more, especially that you are still over 300 in the ten with the .570 IC.   Just curious, when you say over 300, was it just barely over 300, or was it throwing well beyond 300 like your .562 was? Anything around 300 or more would be fine as I am not chasing extreme numbers, but I was just curious. I may just spring for the .570 as my first adjustment but would love to see your full patterns if you shoot some more. I am taking the same approach, wanting some cooler weather before I do any more shooting where the air temperature is closer to what it will be on a spring morning in the turkey woods. Thanks again for sharing your results.
I just went back and looked at my notes and the .570 did 299 hits in the 10 with Apex 9’s. It was a great looking pattern but I only took one shot so far with it. I am still waiting on some cooler weather here and will do some more shooting. I think the .570 IC would be the best all around choke to own. Up close and 40 yards will work.

Offline mountainhunter1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2022, 10:49:49 PM »
[/quote]
I just went back and looked at my notes and the .570 did 299 hits in the 10 with Apex 9’s. It was a great looking pattern but I only took one shot so far with it. I am still waiting on some cooler weather here and will do some more shooting. I think the .570 IC would be the best all around choke to own. Up close and 40 yards will work.
[/quote]

299 in the ten would be just fine with me, the thing I will want to see is what is in the twenty. Based on your numbers and some others who are getting similar in the ten with a .570, I am willing to bet the 20 coverage will be excellent. With right at 300 in the ten, and that leaving around 290 pellets to spare to fill out the twenty and also beyond the twenty (fliers at that point), I will be surprised if there is not at least 220-225 in the twenty on average. But that is why we have to shoot to see. I have a .555, so I'll start with the .570 as I try to open up and if that somehow is too open I can always drop back down to a .562.  I will let you know how it turns out when I shoot my gun this fall when it cools off. Again, your feedback is very helpful. Thanks again.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2022, 05:10:23 AM »
[/quote]

299 in the ten would be just fine with me, the thing I will want to see is what is in the twenty. Based on your numbers and some others who are getting similar in the ten with a .570, I am willing to bet the 20 coverage will be excellent. With right at 300 in the ten, and that leaving around 290 pellets to spare to fill out the twenty and also beyond the twenty (fliers at that point), I will be surprised if there is not at least 220-225 in the twenty on average. But that is why we have to shoot to see. I have a .555, so I'll start with the .570 as I try to open up and if that somehow is too open I can always drop back down to a .562.  I will let you know how it turns out when I shoot my gun this fall when it cools off. Again, your feedback is very helpful. Thanks again.
[/quote]
Glad I could help and I will definitely keep you informed when I shoot again. I really have to pay more attention to the 20 number like you do because it is important.

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2023, 06:13:23 AM »
Here is another 40 yard shot with this gun and the .562 using 3" Apex 9's.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2023, 03:29:56 PM »
that will killem a long way out

Offline lunghit

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2023, 07:41:58 PM »
that will killem a long way out
This gun got its first kill this past season at 30 yards and the bird was dead before it hit the ground. Love this setup