turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Savage 301 20 gauge issue

Started by rakkin6, June 14, 2022, 01:12:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rakkin6

Hey guys I recently acquired a brand new Savage 301 20 gauge. Took it out just to see how it patterned using a Jebs .565 choke. Shot three rounds of field loads to get the red dot close. Had two different shells for it. Some hand rolled 3" #9 1 5/8 ounces of TSS which patterned great. Then I fired some 3" #9 1 7/8 ounce of #9 from a brand name company which patterned great also. After firing the 1 7/8 ounce load the action release button allowing you to break the shotgun open and eject the shell was stuck in the down position. Had to recock the hammer and pull the trigger (I used thumb pressure so it didn't slam forward) to get the release to come back up then was able to break open shotgun and eject the shell. Has anyone experienced this before? Not sure if it was the pressure from the large payload or what. Very limited on 20 gauge shells since this is my.forst 20 and also didn't want to do something that may damage the gun.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

sswv

do a google search.  (Stevens 301...A review and a couple fixes)   a good read and good info.  I've been wanting one but just can't find a decent deal on one right now but I know it's out there.     

rakkin6

Quote from: sswv on June 14, 2022, 10:03:25 AM
do a google search.  (Stevens 301...A review and a couple fixes)   a good read and good info.  I've been wanting one but just can't find a decent deal on one right now but I know it's out there.     
Yeah I gotta good deal on mine $300.00 for brand new gun, Jebs .565 choke and 10nhand rolled TSS shells. The guy I bought it from said he sucks at turkey hunting and is going to concentrate more on bass fishing. And he has a 12 gauge with enough shells to last him another 10 years. Thanks for the help.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

DE OPPRESSO LIBER

Roost 1

Sounds like your firing pin is sticking, releases on the reset.
Pressure issue would be my guess. I'm not too familiar with the 301, not sure if it's a common issue with this gun.