turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Would appreciate some input

Started by bbcustomboxcalls, June 24, 2022, 05:25:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bbcustomboxcalls

Hey guys, I've been making turkey calls for the past 16 years since I retired.
I have made dozens styles and wood combos in that time.  I'm going to cut back on some of the different styles and would appreciate your input on which style you like best.  Here are a few of my favorites over the years which would you choose of these?
Your opinion will help me decide which to continue making.
Thanks in advance for your opinion.
Bill
#1 Walnut/Poplar

#2 Bloodwood/Limba

#3 Zebrawood/Limba

#4 Purpleheart/Cherry

#5 Purpleheart/Cherry

#6 Purpleheart/Mahogany
[/url
#7 Purpleheart/Mahogany
[url=https://flic.kr/p/WTaxAy]

#8 Purpleheart/Poplar

#9 Purpleheart/Cherry

#10 Juniper/Purpleheart/Mahogany

#11 Purpleheart/Poplar/Mahogany

#12 Purpleheart/Limba

Greg Massey

Bill your craftsmanship is excellent and i don't see how anyone could tell you which ones to cut back on, i think that's entirely up to you. All of those calls are beautiful and have a place. IMO never stop doing what you love doing in building calls. Lots of history in those calls and designs. So cutting back and choosing is all up to you.I just like them all myself.

EZ

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 24, 2022, 06:47:59 PM
Bill your craftsmanship is excellent and i don't see how anyone could tell you which ones to cut back on, i think that's entirely up to you. All of those calls are beautiful and have a place. IMO never stop doing what you love doing in building calls. Lots of history in those calls and designs. So cutting back and choosing is all up to you.I just like them all myself.

X2.....very well said.
Your calls are all beautiful and unique. I'd pick the ones that sound the best.

bbcustomboxcalls

Thank you for the kind words Greg and EZ.  I will be slowing down my call making next year so I want to figure out which calls to make.

Thanks,  Bill

Zobo

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

bbcustomboxcalls

crow

If one of your designs consistently has a better sound than the others that is what I would go with.

If your getting good sound out of all of your designs, then as far as my preference in looks I like #1, then #6, then #4

All of your work is top notch, beautiful craftsmanship

GobbleNut

Bill, your request is like asking each of us which contestant in the Miss America pageant we prefer.  All of your calls are beautiful and I have always thought your craftsmanship was unparalleled.  If I was asked to pick one call out of that line-up, I would probably choose #3 on appearance.  That would be a difficult decision, however.  Having said that, I am more of a "sound" man than a "looks" man, so what really would matter to me is choosing a call that, in my mind, sounds the best in terms of calling turkeys.  I would be proud to display any one of those calls in my collection, though.

bbcustomboxcalls

Thanks crow and Gobblenut.  All this info is helpful in determining which calls to make.

Bill

ChesterCopperpot

What separates your work from anyone else is an absolute mastery of inlay and checkering, two very difficult things to get right. Unless you just flat don't want to make a style anymore I'd keep making whatever you want. They're all stunning and all killers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bbcustomboxcalls

Thanks ChesterCopperpot.
I am going to slow down and make things simpler this coming year. Right now I have more than twenty different styles
and combos of box calls on my website, I would like to cut that back to 5 to 10 max.
In the responses so far I do see somewhat of a pattern.  The surprising thing to me is the two I like best haven't been chosen.

Bill

The Lung

Like others have said, they are all good looking calls. My favorites are #6 and #8.
"Dear Lord, may our will be pure and our aim be true. Amen"

bbcustomboxcalls

Quote from: The Lung on June 25, 2022, 09:36:20 PM
Like others have said, they are all good looking calls. My favorites are #6 and #8.
Thanks for the input.
Bill

bbcustomboxcalls

Thanks guys for your input.  So far I do see some surprising choices, at least not what I thought would be the favorites.
If anyone else cares to comment I will take your opinion into consideration also.

Bill

ChesterCopperpot

So for me I love the rounded lids, and particularly 1, 6, 8, 10, and 11 with 6 and 8 being my favorites.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk