OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

The only two

Started by callmakerman, June 21, 2022, 08:51:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

callmakerman

you will ever see from me. I turned my last micarta striker blank today. The first one on the left was done I would guess 10 years ago and gave me fits then. Today I had it in me to turn the second blank. I took my time and it still had me on edge but it's done. Turned out OK and will run some calls but truth is micarta is not the best choice for a striker. Just one of those things I thought I had to try. Thanx for the look.

Bedge7767

Jim

3bailey3

I agree Jim looks great and very hard, Bill just send it on my way ole buddy!!

mmclain

Tried a micarta tip on my FMJ strikers.  Not very good. And I did a glass micarta/G10 and it was terrible too.

West Augusta

I agree.  I tried to make one this spring and wasn't impressed.  I'll save the rest for trumpets which it does work well for.  I'm sadly disappointed.  I was sure that Micarta would make a great striker. It didn't.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

310 gauge

I have a Micarta Pot that's hosting a slab of aluminum from New York state that is mighty awesome!!!

Greg Massey

Regardless of the sound, you did an awesome job on the striker ..

jgard

callmakerman

Like I said it did play a few calls. The first one will be in my vest to use on my Butski copy pot call. Really runs the ceramic top surface well and sweet soft talk on the bottom slate. Just not something that's worth the time and headache to turn for strikers all the time.  It's also really rough on tools. It dulls them very fast.

callmakerman

Quote from: West Augusta on June 21, 2022, 10:02:00 PM
I agree.  I tried to make one this spring and wasn't impressed.  I'll save the rest for trumpets which it does work well for.  I'm sadly disappointed.  I was sure that Micarta would make a great striker. It didn't.
A Davis yelper is another project I'll be working on at some point and I'm going to try micarta for it.

Beards and Hooks

Those look awesome Bill!

mspaci

PEte_A

Bill,

It's cool to see how your striker design has evolved over the years.

EZ

Quote from: callmakerman on June 22, 2022, 07:25:47 AM
A Davis yelper is another project I'll be working on at some point and I'm going to try micarta for it.

Now that might just be a winner.

ChesterCopperpot

I'd sure like to have it Bill so let me know if you want to sell it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk