OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: June gobbling  (Read 1194 times)

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
June gobbling
« on: June 20, 2022, 04:31:30 PM »
The last few days have been a littke cooler and we have been hearing birds gobble some. Today they were really cranking and I was tempted into getting a call out and I had two gobblers fired up in just a few minutes. I guess they are finding some hens that are renesting or late nesters, but it's just neat to hear them while we're working in the garden

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: June gobbling
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2022, 04:55:26 PM »
Cool, Dana.  I don't get up to the mountains here much this time of the year, but when I have, I will usually hear gobbling at dawn and dusk around our place.  Even this late, I think the gobblers are still searching for willing hens.   

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2022, 05:56:53 PM »
I was cooking on the blackstone around dusk the other night and there was a bird on the neighbor's gobbling at everything.

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2022, 06:01:08 PM »
I can't blame them. It's a little safer to chase them sexy sounding hens now that season is over.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2022, 10:09:40 PM »
The gobbling your hearing possibly could be the gathering back of what's left of the gobbler flock after the spring season. Like come and hangout over here. Gobblers have a funny way of communicating.  But again it's all part of a gobbler or hen, they are always trying to establish pecking orders year round. IMO

Offline eggshell

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2022, 06:42:58 AM »
I have heard them in past years, but the last few days have been spring like.

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2022, 09:55:07 AM »
 We heard one here behind the yard two weekends ago, heard one last year as well. Seems like they are laughing at me while I am in the garden?

A buddy of mine was listening to a turkey about every morning while drinking his coffee on his porch.

Last few days its been in the low 50's here but I haven't been out to listen.

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2022, 10:49:24 AM »
I live out in the country in TN and have turkeys on my property. Since the season ended gobbling has slowed down some, but I still am hearing gobbling every day. I only owl or crow call to them.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2022, 09:21:40 PM »
Last June, middle of the month, I saw a strutter with two hens.  He must've forgotten to flip his calendar!
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline Mossberg90MN

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2022, 12:35:05 AM »
The gobbling your hearing possibly could be the gathering back of what's left of the gobbler flock after the spring season. Like come and hangout over here. Gobblers have a funny way of communicating.  But again it's all part of a gobbler or hen, they are always trying to establish pecking orders year round. IMO
This sounds about right to me, not saying they would pass on the opportunity but I think this time of year they’re trying to get link up with other gobblers and just feed away into the summer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2022, 08:47:14 AM »
I have heard gobbling the past few weeks while golfing real early in the morning. He gobbled one day just when I was teeing off, I got so excited I snap hooked my drive into the woods…lol. I saw some hens, but never did see him….
“Solo hunter”

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2022, 11:31:46 AM »
This pic was taken on Aug 27th last year. It's not very good. It's part of a group of hens with thier polts. There's a brood in there that can't be more than a month old. If you look close you can see how much smaller they are than the other polts in the flock. That would put them on the ground at the end of July, incubation starting sometime around the beginning of July. These are just guesstimates from seeing the flock from a couple hundred yards away.

If my guesstimates are close to being correct that would mean breeding of that hen took place sometime in the middle to late June. This was in Northern Mn.

This year spring was about 3 weeks behind compared to last year and hens were everywhere in the 1 central and 2 north central states that I hunted. From what I've been reading on this site, spring in the southern states was lagging behind as well with good to great hatches being the norm last year. The gobblers I hunted were henned up for the majority of the spring. A week and a half ago I seen a hen laying for a tom in a field when I was driving by in central Mn.

I don't think it would to much of a stretch from my observations to say the second gobbling peak around here didn't happen until the last week of may, early June because it definitely didn't happen during the hunting season. Second and 3rd breedings are most likely still going on around here. Been about a week since the last time seen a tom strutting on my way to work in the morning.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.