turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fathers Day

Started by ChesterCopperpot, June 19, 2022, 09:22:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ChesterCopperpot

I ain't grow up turkey hunting with my dad like a lot of folks, but for Fathers Day how about everybody who did post some pics of them hunting with theirs and/or tell us a story...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Howie g

My dad is not a turkey hunter , but he is a skilled woodsman who grew up hunting deer / squirrel etc ,
He took me hunting every chance he got . The main thing I've learned from him is true sportsmanship.
How not to be a game hog , how to respect others .  What a privilege it is to drag his and my moms deer out and take care of them .  Both are 80 and still get there share of em .
   I got my passion for turkey hunting from my grandpa .  He was a turkey killer for sure

GobbleNut

No pictures to share from back in "the stone ages" of my early turkey hunting years, but here's a short synopsis...

1965 +/-...New Mexico initiated its first spring gobbler season.  I was 13 or thereabouts.  On a whim, my dad decided we were going to give it a try seeing as how we lived fairly close to a mountain range that had a good population of Merriam's turkeys.  ...Did not have the slightest clue as to what we were doing, and the results were consistent with that fact.  As is the case with a lot of significant events in our lives, I still have memories, although a bit faded with time, of that very first trip out with my father.

Being more into fishing, my dad quickly lost interest in turkey hunting.  At that time, my enthusiasm for hunting and fishing, in general, had begun to take a firm hold on my psyche.  My dad had subscriptions to the "big 3" hunting and fishing magazines at that time and I perused each one every month for whatever struck me as being something I could pursue based on our location.  Turkey hunting was one of those, and spring gobbler hunting was just beginning to take hold in those parts of the country that had them.  Each spring, I soaked up every bit of information I could find on the subject.

Each pursuant year from that first one, those outdoor magazines would have a few articles on spring gobbler hunting prior to the season, and each year I found myself becoming more and more interested in it.  My dad had gone back to focusing on fishing, but I had reached the age where I had a driver's license and a couple of friends that shared my interest in learning to hunt gobblers.  It took a few years, but we finally put enough pieces of the puzzle together to be pretty consistently successful.   

Here, close to sixty years later, one of those high school buddies still hunts with me,...and both of us are still "out there" due to my dad taking the time to take me all those decades ago.  He's been gone quite a while now, but the thing I am most grateful for is that he introduced me to this cherished lifestyle all those years ago.  ...Happy father's day, Dad! 

Greg Massey

My dad was an avid outdoors person, his main passion was coon hunting and deer hunting. My dad was also a commercial fisherman on the Tennessee River. The day he passed away he was commercial fishing on the Tennessee River, luckily the way he fell over in the boat while holding a net, it didn't pull him into the river. I was fortunate to share hunting memories with him and learn the art of commercial fishing on the Tennessee River.  Sure do miss him and mom.. I will see them both again one day in heaven.

guesswho

A lot of turkeys died between this first picture and the last.

If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Tail Feathers

My father grew up on a farm and was quite a hunter and a good shot.  He taught me a bit about shooting and made sure I always had a gun and plenty of ammo.  I burned up a few BB guns and a lot of ammo as I grew up.  I hunted with him a good bit as a young boy, but he was older than most Dad's when I came along so he didn't hunt much after I hit my teen years.  But the seed had been planted and was growing good on its own at that point.  I don't think I have a single picture of my Dad with game or hunting gear.  How did we miss out of that?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

3bailey3

Dad wasn't a hunter but provide me a great place to hunt and would just let me out of the truck.

eggshell

My dad was a farmer and a seed corn developer. He was a rabbit hunter first second a squirrel hunter and liked some fishing. Mostly he knew having son's were free labor and put us to work farming. One of our favorite rewards was to go fishing or a rabbit hunt when the work was done. I started turkey hunting in 1971 and dad went one tiime and wasn't too interested. He died in 1979 having never taken up the sport, but he was my fan. One day he was aggravated as turkeys had scratched out some valuable seed corn in the field and he sternly said, "son you need to kill some more of those turkeys, they're eating my high priced corn". I don't have a good digital picture to share, but here's one of him weighing a big falthead I caught one morning and his favorite beagle in the background

3bailey3

Wigsplitter

Great pictures guys especially guesswho- I enjoy seeing those type with the boys turning to men and the men turning into older gentlemen- that's a treasure there!!

3bailey3

My dad and son after a turkey hunt, sadly both are gone now, so not a great day for me!

Happy

Really sorry to for your losses 3bailey3. My dad wasn't a dad at all so I don't have many hunting or outdoor memories. I have made many with my kids instead. All of them hunt and fish but so far only one of them enjoys turkey hunting a good bit, though not as passionate as I am about it. He just graduated this year. Here is his progression and a few others thrown in. I could go on for some time but we try to spend a lot of time outdoors. Even if my kids aren't as passionate about hunting as I am I at least want them to understand it and support it.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Dtrkyman

Outdoors to my Dad was simply being outside anywhere as long as there was cold beer!

Wasn't a hunter and fished a little to drink on a boat!

He did however get me outside!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

davisd9

First Father's Day since losing my dad in October. Was as hard yesterday morning as it was the morning after his passing.  My dad grew up dirt poor so hunting/fishing was not recreational for him. He was not against it but not overly interested in it. He was a horse person and loved guns. Even though he could care less about hunting or fishing he took me when I wanted to go. Did not realize it as the time but I knew as much about as he did growing up, which was not a lot. Looking back it means more to me that he took me this way cause it was me he wanted to spend time with and not just going because he also loved the activity. Once I got old enough to go alone he never went again. I wish I would have had more outdoor memories with him but I will always be grateful he let me be me and never tried pushing his likes on me. Not a lot of outdoor memories with him but I do have lots of love and respect for him because of it.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

tomstopper

My dad never hunted so I have no pictures of him doing it. I will say that he was always happy for me when I was successful and I so wish I would have gotten pictures of him with me during those times. He passed on August 12, 2020 so now  I can only change this trend by now taking my daughter's out and always making sure to capture these moments with them. Very blessed to be these twos father.

Sent from my moto g power using Tapatalk