Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Rem 870 Youth, Tight Wad .570, Federal Grand Slam #5's

Started by 357MAGNOLE, May 01, 2023, 06:05:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

357MAGNOLE

In my search for a non-TSS shell combo with great lethality out to 35 yards, I think I have a winner.

Shots are all tip of the barrel to the pattern board laser ranger finder verified. I actually shot this in sprinkling rain (id already made the drive lol) I did pull the 15-yard shot just a hair to the left. But I am very happy with this combo. I picked these shells up on sale for less than $1 a shell.

image uploader
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson

SM

Looks good. I settled on the same shell in a 12 ga and one of my 20's.
If all you need is a 30-35 yard gun, these do well.

Shot my 4th season bird with an SA-20 and 3" LBXR #5 out of a Trulock .575

sswv

that'll get him dead.   Dick's had those on sale for cheap so I bought some and had about the same results with my compact 301 and my 21" 870. 35 is about the max with them in my guns.   the TightWad and even the Undertaker XT chokes are sometimes overlooked but they do perform.  in my experience with them in several guns they do extremely good with lead loads.

357MAGNOLE

Quote from: sswv on May 01, 2023, 09:42:02 PM
that'll get him dead.   Dick's had those on sale for cheap so I bought some and had about the same results with my compact 301 and my 21" 870. 35 is about the max with them in my guns.   the TightWad and even the Undertaker XT chokes are sometimes overlooked but they do perform.  in my experience with them in several guns they do extremely good with lead loads.
yep. That's where I got mine. I bought 60 shells. Used 5 to pattern. Got 55 left. Should be set for years
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson