OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Who do I need to contact?  (Read 4895 times)

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
Re: Who do I need to contact?
« Reply #45 on: June 21, 2022, 02:54:01 PM »
There is a lot of heavy traffic on I-20, so I would be surprised if the interstate did not interfere with the exchange of turkeys from one side to the other.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline Louisiana Longbeard

« Reply #46 on: June 21, 2022, 10:56:12 PM »
There is a lot of heavy traffic on I-20, so I would be surprised if the interstate did not interfere with the exchange of turkeys from one side to the other.
Yes I-20 is busy all the time. That’s what we were told is that is like a wall they don’t want to cross. That’s why I’m wanting to try to let a few loose on our place and see what happens

Offline silvestris

• Longbeard
« Reply #47 on: June 21, 2022, 11:24:08 PM »
The problem you have now, sans habitat, is getting Wildlife & Fisheries to agree to trap some of your friend’s turkeys to your ground.  The LDWF will certainly not release turkeys into a thicket.  The number of acres you control and/or the number of cooperating neighbor’s acres are also a factor.  Trapping and relocating turkeys is hard work and the Department is going to have to see a good chance of success to undertake the task.
“[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer.”  Ken Morgan, “Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #48 on: June 23, 2022, 06:06:07 AM »
Lots of good ideas here, maybe a few that were a little far fetched, but there is a reason that you dont have turkeys. You said the deer are there, well they like what you have. I think that predator and egg stealer control is a good step. Controlled burning with planting turkey friendly crops is always a good idea. Roosting areas are also a big thing, if there isnt any other needs near the roosting areas then it might just be convenience for them. Turkeys here cross Interstate 95 all the time and it is a busy road. A turkey biologist may be needed, a general state biologist will be helpful but it might not be his specialty. Keep looking for help, but I dont think the state will transplant birds to your property. They may help, but those programs are very expensive and planned well in advance. Good luck and I am pulling for you, Al Baker

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2022, 06:18:22 PM »
Turkey drive on the other side of 20!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2022, 08:56:20 AM »
Turkey drive on the other side of 20!

:TooFunny: :TooFunny:  I'll bang on a frying pan from here in New Mexico to help out.  Maybe throw in a little whoopin' and hollerin' while I'm at it...   ;D

Offline Louisiana Longbeard

« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2022, 11:21:04 AM »
 :newmascot:
Sounds good to me

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #52 on: June 29, 2022, 12:51:25 PM »
I am speechless.
For once!!!

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #53 on: June 29, 2022, 12:51:40 PM »
Good
X2

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #54 on: June 29, 2022, 12:52:14 PM »
I always thought the pilgrims ordered them in on Thanksgiving from Amazon.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Offline RutnNStrutn

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #55 on: June 29, 2022, 01:16:56 PM »
I think the guys have hit on your main issue. There has to be something missing.
In the past I've found that too much thick cover is not what turkeys like. Some good cover for nesting, and for deer is good. Controlled burning at the right time of year would be helpful. Thick cover also is good for predators.
I would see if you can get a turkey biologist, public or private to look at your place. That should be Step #1.
Because even if you succeed in transplanting turkeys onto your place, if the habitat isn't what they are looking for, they won't hang around. And those few that do will be picked off by predators.
Good luck!!