OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Who do I need to contact?

Started by Louisiana Longbeard, June 16, 2022, 10:38:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Quote from: wchadw on June 17, 2022, 11:35:21 AM
Might check online for wild turkey eggs and get an incubator?
Once they can fly release them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been proven to fail and harm natural populations
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

crow

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on June 17, 2022, 09:47:18 AM
Just raise some domestics until they are 18 weeks old, then release them on your property. Thats how wild turkeys evolved in the first place when Ponce De Leon brought over domestic pigs and turkeys to the US and they escaped and became wild.

Ponce DeLeon only released Oseollas, it was Cortez who released the more abundant Rios and Goulds.

Tail Feathers

If LA are like most states, you would be in violation of the law to trap and transport wild turkeys on your own.  And the state is not likely to populate private land with turkeys from public land.

When the hunting lease I'm on wanted turkeys, we paid $700 per bird to have some transplanted to our property back in the 90's.  I think the NWTF had a program and I don't know if the state participated at all.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Cowboy

Quote from: davisd9 on June 17, 2022, 12:15:38 PM
Quote from: wchadw on June 17, 2022, 11:35:21 AM
Might check online for wild turkey eggs and get an incubator?
Once they can fly release them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This has been proven to fIl and harm natural populations
Correct

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Zobo

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 17, 2022, 10:08:14 AM
What we did years ago was make contact with our local biologist and he came out and surveyed our place and took notes and gave us a plan to help the wildlife. So my suggestion is to do the same. Have a biologist come out and survey your place and give you suggestions on making improvements.  Some of the improvements we made were adding watering holes, planting clover, rotating our areas we bushhog and we planted lots of saw tooth oaks. We also do some select cutting of our timber and we always leave areas with grouping of trees for roosting spots etc.  We also added trails or some people may call them field roads and we keep these trails or field roads maintained during the year. Make sure you have areas of sand for the turkeys to scratch and peck for girt. If you don't pick out a couple areas and order a couple loads of red sand and have it dumped and spread out for the wildlife.  Primos said one of the thinking missing on one of his hunting places in Mississippi was sand so he had loads of sand dumped on his farm and it made major improvements to his turkey population and holding birds. Lots of things you can do in helping your turkeys etc.   BUT turkeys will always have a wintering area, breeding area and nesting area. IMO

Very interesting. Good information here

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

tal

Quote from: Greg Massey on June 17, 2022, 10:08:14 AM
What we did years ago was make contact with our local biologist and he came out and surveyed our place and took notes and gave us a plan to help the wildlife. So my suggestion is to do the same. Have a biologist come out and survey your place and give you suggestions on making improvements.  Some of the improvements we made were adding watering holes, planting clover, rotating our areas we bushhog and we planted lots of saw tooth oaks. We also do some select cutting of our timber and we always leave areas with grouping of trees for roosting spots etc.  We also added trails or some people may call them field roads and we keep these trails or field roads maintained during the year. Make sure you have areas of sand for the turkeys to scratch and peck for girt. If you don't pick out a couple areas and order a couple loads of red sand and have it dumped and spread out for the wildlife.  Primos said one of the thinking missing on one of his hunting places in Mississippi was sand so he had loads of sand dumped on his farm and it made major improvements to his turkey population and holding birds. Lots of things you can do in helping your turkeys etc.   BUT turkeys will always have a wintering area, breeding area and nesting area. IMO

When they were restocking turkeys in this area in the late 70's and early 80's the Fish&Wildlife picked the properties. The land owners were then approached and had to sign a no hunting agreement for 5 to 10 years if memory serves. Improving the habitat as already mentioned seems best.

TurkeyReaper69

Quote from: crow on June 17, 2022, 12:55:07 PM
Just raise some domestics until they are 18 weeks old, then release them on your property. Thats how wild turkeys evolved in the first place when Ponce De Leon brought over domestic pigs and turkeys to the US and they escaped and became wild.

Ponce DeLeon only released Oseollas, it was Cortez who released the more abundant Rios and Goulds.
Correct me if I'm wrong but were Easterns brought over on the Mayflower and gifted to the Indians at Plymouth?

Ihuntoldschool

Don't need to contact anyone, you are wasting your time with your request.   Why would they do that?

crow

Quote from: TurkeyReaper69 on June 17, 2022, 02:59:00 PM
Quote from: crow on June 17, 2022, 12:55:07 PM

Correct me if I'm wrong but were Easterns brought over on the Mayflower and gifted to the Indians at Plymouth?

No, you must be a product of public education.

Eastern's (originally from the Eastern block Slavic countries--hence the name)  were brought across the Bering sea land bridge by the Ojibway. From there they were used as trade barter with the other tribes and dispersed mainly thru the east, so the name stuck.

Paulmyr

You guys need to go fishing or something!
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

"I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

GobbleNut

Quote from: Gobbler Yelp on June 17, 2022, 04:48:49 PM
I am brand new here, but are you people serious. The Wild Turkey is native to North America

:D  I'm not new here, but I was assuming some of the comments about the originations of turkeys were made just to see if they would get a rise out of somebody.  Apparently, it worked!  The truth be known, wild turkeys were brought from Mars by space aliens just to torment turkey hunters on Earth.   ;D

silvestris

"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

Shiloh

Happy

I always thought the pilgrims ordered them in on Thanksgiving from Amazon.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

tracker vi