OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Who do I need to contact?  (Read 4968 times)

Offline Louisiana Longbeard

Who do I need to contact?
« on: June 16, 2022, 10:38:12 PM »
We own 1000 plus acres in North Louisiana. We have zero turkeys on or directly around us. Have had a picture of a couple hens passing through a couple years ago but that’s it. As a crow flys there are a lot of turkeys and have been for years about 3 miles south of us across a major highway. I have contacted the LDWF about trapping and moving some birds on us with no avail. I’ve emailed and called NWTF and haven’t even got a response. I even have a family friend that owns some land with a lot of birds on it that has given me permission to catch some and move them on us. But I need someone with the net and explosives to do it. It’s aggravating when you are trying to help the Wild turkey spread its range and can get Zero help. If anyone knows anybody that could help PM me. Thanks

Offline 2flyfish4

Re: Who do I need to contact?
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2022, 11:11:53 PM »
My thoughts are if they are only 3 miles away they would be in your property if you had what they are looking for.

Instead of looking to trap and transport, see if you can get someone out there to help with controlled burns, food plots, and water. I would bet you would see more if you did that.

Offline quavers59

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2022, 02:01:40 AM »
  Strange that you see some Hens and yet no Gobblers. I would definitely  find out what the Turkey Situation is with your connecting Landowners. Something to my mind just does not sound right..

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2022, 05:41:04 AM »
My thoughts are if they are only 3 miles away they would be in your property if you had what they are looking for.

Instead of looking to trap and transport, see if you can get someone out there to help with controlled burns, food plots, and water. I would bet you would see more if you did that.
Agree with this. If there are alot of birds within 3 miles, just during natural dispersal
you should have turkeys IF they have what habitat they need. I'd try improving my food plots and maybe timber as well and that should be the place to start with.you could contact TURKEYS FOR TOMORROW perhaps they may have suggestions. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Also how wet is your property? Could definitely effect nesting and brood raising.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 06:10:19 AM by Cowboy »

Online deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2022, 08:27:58 AM »
No one is going to trap turkey and move them to your property in this situation. If they did, people would be standing in line for game and fish agencies to bring them turkey.

Offline Shiloh

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2022, 08:49:05 AM »
Put some habitat pics of your place on here and maybe someone could give some insight as to why you don't have turkeys.  I agree with those above.  If you have turkeys fairly close, but they are not on you then you are missing something

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2022, 09:16:05 AM »
No one is going to trap turkey and move them to your property in this situation. If they did, people would be standing in line for game and fish agencies to bring them turkey.

Truth.  Using publicly funded infrastructure (agencies, manpower, equipment) to strictly benefit individuals is generally not an accepted practice.  An exception to this might be if you, as the landowner, signed something stating that you were going to allow the public to hunt your land.  Not many landowners around that are going to do that! 

As has been stated, you should be analyzing why the properties a few miles away have turkeys while yours does not,...and then making the needed improvements to your property to attract birds to it.  Sounds to me like some key elements needed to hold turkeys on your place are missing or they would be there already.

Now, you might be able to make an agreement with your DNR/game department to let you T&T birds from another private-property source (if that source agreed to it, obviously),...and with any associated costs for that coming from private sources.  However, unless you made the needed habitat improvements, those turkeys would likely relocate to more desirable habitats anyway. 

Bottom line is that it looks to me like that if you want turkeys to come live on your property, you got some work to do!   :icon_thumright:

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2022, 09:30:07 AM »
Contact some local land managers, you need an evaluation of your property.  I doubt there would be a legal way to trap and transport turkeys?

Offline TurkeyReaper69

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2022, 09:47:18 AM »
Just raise some domestics until they are 18 weeks old, then release them on your property. Thats how wild turkeys evolved in the first place when Ponce De Leon brought over domestic pigs and turkeys to the US and they escaped and became wild.

Offline tracker vi

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2022, 10:01:36 AM »
Just raise some domestics until they are 18 weeks old, then release them on your property. Thats how wild turkeys evolved in the first place when Ponce De Leon brought over domestic pigs and turkeys to the US and they escaped and became wild.
   Nope,Turkeys evolved in North America.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2022, 10:08:14 AM »
What we did years ago was make contact with our local biologist and he came out and surveyed our place and took notes and gave us a plan to help the wildlife. So my suggestion is to do the same. Have a biologist come out and survey your place and give you suggestions on making improvements.  Some of the improvements we made were adding watering holes, planting clover, rotating our areas we bushhog and we planted lots of saw tooth oaks. We also do some select cutting of our timber and we always leave areas with grouping of trees for roosting spots etc.  We also added trails or some people may call them field roads and we keep these trails or field roads maintained during the year. Make sure you have areas of sand for the turkeys to scratch and peck for girt. If you don't pick out a couple areas and order a couple loads of red sand and have it dumped and spread out for the wildlife.  Primos said one of the thinking missing on one of his hunting places in Mississippi was sand so he had loads of sand dumped on his farm and it made major improvements to his turkey population and holding birds. Lots of things you can do in helping your turkeys etc.   BUT turkeys will always have a wintering area, breeding area and nesting area. IMO

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2022, 10:23:24 AM »
X2.

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2022, 10:32:11 AM »
Contact some local land managers, you need an evaluation of your property.  I doubt there would be a legal way to trap and transport turkeys?
This is true. Legally you can not

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2022, 11:35:21 AM »
Might check online for wild turkey eggs and get an incubator?
Once they can fly release them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline wchadw

• Longbeard
Who do I need to contact?
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2022, 11:40:35 AM »
Might check online for wild turkey eggs and get an incubator?
Once they can fly release them

https://www.ebay.com/itm/155033618895?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=hBLF_dL-SJy&sssrc=2349624&ssuid=eduGOV93Rbm&var=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY

Might work? Probably have pretty high mortality rate
If you try this, better do it now so they will get big enough to survive winter
If you do, I’d like to know how it turns out

« Last Edit: June 17, 2022, 11:56:35 AM by wchadw »