turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet Wood Type

Started by Cowboy, June 14, 2022, 01:26:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Turkeyman

Well, by no means do I profess to be any kind of expert but I have two trumpet calls. One is out of Cocus wood, the other Brazilian cherry. They both sound good...at least as far as I'm capable of running them. Being an retired engineer, to my way of thinking, in order to compare woods you'd have to have several trumpets made to the EXACT same dimensions of various woods in order to compare the sound. Perhaps some of you makers have done so.

PS...prior to posting this I had to look up just what wood was used for my two calls!

Zobo

I always end up liking the look of a call more if it turns out to be particularly field effective. More than once, I've ordered a call and been a little disappointed in the look of it but found myself looking at it through new eyes after realizing it's efficacy on the only ears that matter.
     But I always say, in the same vein as what Chester was saying, don't underestimate the importance of aesthetics. Looks are not shallow or inconsequential and you should want a call that you find beautiful. After all, you're probably gonna be looking at it, holding it and practicing with it much more than actually hunting with it.
      Go with a wood you like the look of, a good maker will craft it to work tonally.

Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14