OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Trumpet Wood Type  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
Trumpet Wood Type
« on: June 14, 2022, 01:26:38 PM »
Im new to the trumpet world. What does everyone prefer for the wood type and why? Doesnt have to be in depth, just a comment or 2 on the type, look and sound. Curious on personal favorites. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
Re: Trumpet Wood Type
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2022, 02:01:02 PM »
Osage: classic, domestic wood and it darkens beautifully over time. Great sound.

African blackwood: turns beautifully, just a gorgeous wood, and super hard so it has a bright sound.

Lignum vitae: same as ABW in that it’s gorgeous and super hard so it plays sharp and bright.

Snakewood: also gorgeous and super hard like the other exotics mentioned. My only gripe is that it’s bad to split. Some folks will tell you it ain’t a matter of if snakewood will split but when. Regardless it makes gorgeous trumpets.

Anyhow, those are my favorite four.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2022, 02:11:10 PM »
Cocobolo also makes nice one ...

Offline Bedge7767

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2022, 03:24:21 PM »
I'm a Desert Ironwood fan.
Jim

Offline tal

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2022, 03:27:24 PM »
 Osage fan also. Don't discount synthetics, some materials have great tone.

Offline Yelper

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2022, 03:42:44 PM »
Not wood but Delrin makes a great trumpet.

Delrin- sounds are crisp and the material is almost indestructible.

Offline nitro

• Longbeard
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2022, 07:05:35 PM »
My top 5 in order

Ironwood
Cocus
Cocobola
Lignum
Rosewood- the old stuff from Brazil.

Honorable mention -

Osage
Olive wood
ABW
Bocote
Mesquite
Royal Slam 2008

Offline davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2022, 07:39:24 PM »
My top 5 in order

Ironwood
Cocus
Cocobola
Lignum
Rosewood- the old stuff from Brazil.

Honorable mention -

Osage
Olive wood
ABW
Bocote
Mesquite

Be hard to top this list for sure.
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • It's about the journey, not the outcome
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2022, 09:00:15 PM »
I like grainy woods so ironwood is great because it varies in looks so much but never disappoints. Also like bocote and burl woods
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2022, 10:18:07 PM »
Depends on how well the maker made the call.  I've seen some beautiful snakewood trumpets that sound terrible.   You have to run the trumpet and see what works for you.  Don't worry so much about the wood.  Worry about the sound coming out of it. 
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

Offline ol bob

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2022, 09:00:55 AM »
Don't worry about what Mat. a trumpet is made of, its a tool, and any tool made is only as the person using it. The sound is coming from the players lips not the call.  I have a hand full of friends that can make a good trumpet, made from any Mat. sound as good as you will ever hear. What its made of is not going to make it valuable down the road, it the name on it.One exception to  that, I know there is one solid gold call out there, but the 3 most expensive calls out there 2 are cocobolo, 1 river cane, all with hen wing bone mouth pieces.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2022, 10:47:27 AM »
I will agree the sound comes from the draw of the air and lips. BUT the woods or material that are used in a trumpet does affect the tone of the call. Same with boxes, pot calls , push pins, tube calls and other type calls. Internals, rail thickness, radius, dimensions all of this and more play a part in perfecting average call to a great call. That's what separates all builders in making calls, it's called PERFECTION ... IMO... So again TONE is what we are looking for in wanting that call and different types of woods or material play a factory in making those TONES, if not all calls would sound the same ... IMO .... Learning to play a call is also learning the feel of the call and listening to calls and let it tell you how it wants to be played. It's called Perfection. So you have to learn from whatever call your playing in how to make Tones, sounds, ease of play all these factors play a part. Sure anything at a given time regardless of sound  will make a gobbler gobble.. it's just his day to die ...
« Last Edit: June 15, 2022, 11:02:25 AM by Greg Massey »

Offline paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2022, 10:54:46 AM »
I'm a Desert Ironwood fan.

:agreed:  Me too. I'd round it out with bocote and osage.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline ChesterCopperpot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2022, 11:32:18 AM »
A couple things I believe most of us can agree on, any wood in the right hands will make a good yelper. The best wood in inexperienced hands will make a crappy yelper. Wood density does affect sound, albeit slightly. Tighter grains like the exotics tend to carry more pop than softer domestics. But, again, the difference is slight. At the end of the day go with a good maker and choose the wood that YOU love the looks of, and that’s the major thing. All of us have very different tastes. Some folks love highly figured woods. Some folks love the colors of wood like cocobola. I don’t. I like cleaner looks. I like darker woods. I hate reddish tones. At the end of the day if you were to get an X trumpet, say, from Anthony Ellis in some highly figured burl wood and you played my osage or lignum X trumpets and all mouthpieces were the same, I doubt you’d hear much difference. It’d be subtle. But every single one of them would sound great. Pick the wood you find most beautiful. Kill them with something pretty. That’s what’s fun about different wood choices, being able to get something really personalized that you love and enjoy carrying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2022, 12:12:25 PM »
Great information guys. Appreciate all the remarks. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk