OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester Sx4 info

Started by kytrkyhntr, June 11, 2022, 11:47:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kytrkyhntr

I am looking at adding a Winchester sx4 to the arsenal because I now do not own a semi auto 12 gauge, gun will be used for everything from clay birds to turkeys. What experiences do any of you have with the gun? Likes and dislikes?

Disclaimer: I'm going to put my hands on one Monday. I am a lefty and you can get a left handed one in bottomland and that's pretty cool to me.

Let me know what you think about them.
don't let the truth get in the way of a good story

Yoder409

Don't own one.

Own a SX2 and an SX3.  Buddy owns the SX4.  According to him (he's a nationally ceded trap shooter) the SX4 is just more of a good thing after the SX2 and SX3.

I'd own one in a second if I wanted another 12 gauge semi.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

lunghit

I have two SX3's and one SX4 and they are all extremely reliable, soft shooting, easy to clean and never had a failure of any kind. They also throw some great patterns out of a turkey choke. I have a few Benelli's (love them too) but prefer the Winchesters over them. I have another SX4 I am picking up on Tuesday that will be another dedicated turkey gun. You will not be disappointed in it and honestly I can't think of a single dislike in them. I only wish they made a 22" vent rib barrel because I'd own one.
"There's only so many spring mornings in a man's lifetime"

kytrkyhntr

Sweet, thank you for the info. That greenleaf was done right might I add. Sweet guns. Do you happen to know if the new SX4s have that Dura coat "rubbery" stuff on the stock and fore end now? My friend had an sx3 years back and it had a rubbery feel. Is that standard?

Roost 1

Uncle Lee's in Greenville KY has several SX4's in stock.
I kno I saw 3 or 4 there last week.
I like the hybrid hunter model.

lunghit

They don't have that anymore because they did have issues with that coating getting real tacky. The stock and forearm have a checkered finish where your hand touches. I like the oversized safety, bolt handle and bolt release on the sx4 over the sx3. Same proven active valve gas system.

kytrkyhntr

Sweet, thanks again for the info.
Uncle lees is near where my family lives and I hunt. Maybe I will go back next weekend and check it out. Thansk

lunghit

Quote from: kytrkyhntr on June 12, 2022, 09:28:38 AM
Sweet, thanks again for the info.
Uncle lees is near where my family lives and I hunt. Maybe I will go back next weekend and check it out. Thansk
Good luck and let us know if you get one. They have a ton of different camo and cerakote models to choose from.

Turkeybutt

Lunghit great looking guns.
A friend of mine shoots a SX3 and really likes it. I bought a SX4 12 gauge hybrid hunter model last year but have yet to use it due to some medical conditions. You say they had some issues with the coating getting real tacky on the hybrid hunter model. That's something I'll have to check out.
If I see a SX4 in 20 gauge it will be mine.   

Turkeybutt

Have you had any issues with the bolt handle? I hear stories of them coming out and people losing them.

lunghit

Quote from: Turkeybutt on June 13, 2022, 05:49:46 AM
Lunghit great looking guns.
A friend of mine shoots a SX3 and really likes it. I bought a SX4 12 gauge hybrid hunter model last year but have yet to use it due to some medical conditions. You say they had some issues with the coating getting real tacky on the hybrid hunter model. That's something I'll have to check out.
If I see a SX4 in 20 gauge it will be mine.
The issue was on the SX3's with the duracoat finish. You don't have that on the SX4 so no need to worry. They got rid of that finish long ago. Also no issue with the bolt handle on any of my guns. The 20 gauges lock in and it's impossible for them to fall out unless a pin is depressed.

BDeal

Quote from: Turkeybutt on June 13, 2022, 05:59:58 AM
Have you had any issues with the bolt handle? I hear stories of them coming out and people losing them.

This happened to me on my SX2 once. I love mine but it is very heavy.

Turkeybutt

Thank you for that information guys

lunghit

The new SX4 arrived today!

Turkeybutt