OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mandatory Reporting  (Read 3434 times)

Offline sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Mandatory Reporting
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2022, 11:03:06 AM »
in WV for deer, bear and turkey you attach a field tag at the kill site before moving the carcass and then call in or log in for a 13-digit DNR ID number within 72 hours or 24 hours from the close of the respective season (whichever comes first).  rules are a little different for trappers.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2022, 11:08:54 AM »
While KS issues tags, they dont make you report anything for deer or turkey. I had some gents from AR tell me they love KS because they only need to buy one tag then print as many copies as they want...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk
A few years ago KS ended internet sales for NR. Before that I'm sure that's how it went down. A social media hunter got busted in NE for killing over limit on one permit.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2022, 11:16:41 AM »
If a state doesn't have tagging or a form of harvest reporting, you can bet on politics as the reason why (not state wildlife officials).

Yes, good point, this seems likely
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2022, 11:28:17 AM »

There is also a mandatory online harvest report that hunters must fill out at some point in the year.  If a hunter does not fill out that report, they are not eligible to purchase another license in the future until they do, nor can they apply for any big game or turkey hunt for future seasons. 

THIS..................... is what EVERY state should be doing !!!!!  With cell phones and computers, there's ABSOLUTELY NO REASON NOT TO.

You'll get the most accurate data possible.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Sixes

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: June 11, 2022, 12:28:50 PM »
Georgia is call in/online reporting.

No tags. Same with deer.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #20 on: June 11, 2022, 12:59:44 PM »
In Iowa you physically tag the deer or turkey in the field before moving it. Then you have 24 hrs. to report it. If you don't use/fill a tag then you do nothing.

Offline Kingwoodsman

« Reply #21 on: June 11, 2022, 09:44:38 PM »
Alabama has reporting system and really started enforcing about 3 years ago to try to help catch those shooting over limit. Deer works great because they check processors. Don’t know how well working on turkeys. Poachers are poachers
He is no fool who gives up what he can not keep, to gain what he can not lose. (Jim Elliot)

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2022, 11:14:57 PM »
You have to report Eastern turkey kills in Texas.  They even want you to pinpoint that on a map.  Not fond of that part.

I often don't have cell service at my lease in another county.  One year I hit the dot and showed I killed a bird in my living room where I sat filling out the form.  No one ever questioned it and I live in a county where season is closed.   Outside giving up my good spots to the state and who knows who else...it's not a big deal to report the harvest.  I think more states should.  We also have to tag the bird.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline Paulmyr

• Longbeard
« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2022, 01:54:57 AM »
Georgia is call in/online reporting.

No tags. Same with deer.

Ga does have a harvest record to fill for people with out cell phones, or you can call in or use an App. Either way you go about it. The kill needs to be reported/recorded before the turkey leaves the kill sight.
Paul Myrdahl,  Goat trainee

“I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.". John Wayne, The Shootist.

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2022, 10:00:51 AM »
Florida ...they are going to this upcoming year do a mandatory online harvest reporting on all wild turkeys ...this I believe to be the first move in the right direction the FWC has done with turkey hunting in over 10 years

There is only one place in the entire world where you can shoot the subspecies of wild turkey , known as the Osceola , and it's pretty much a anything goes mentally...and the FWC is taking a "close the gate after the horse runs off "mentality

The state of Florida needs to immediately implement a "no Jake rule " statewide with a minimum beard length rule ...and they need to close up all hen harvesting loopholes asap ...from there they may need to review some painful but probably needed restrictions

Almost all states in the south have seen some bag harvest limitations in recent years ...but nonr I repeat none of them are in as bad of shape as Florida with massive habitat loss and insane hunter pressure...Florida is flat out the worst of the worst in all categories...I'm even willing to venture or speculate we kill less gobblers on wmas than Rhode island or Connecticut
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2022, 12:39:03 PM »
Florida continued - Maybe after a year or two of actual mandatory reporting they'll have an idea how many birds are really killed.  Next needed step is to try and get an idea how many hunt turkey successful or not.. With a system that doesn't often account for any resident over 65 it could be 10,000 or 100,000 additional turkey hunters.  Yes - as unbelievable as it sounds if you are resident over 65 you can hunt non quota public land and any legally accessed private land with no accountability.  Few WMAs even have check stations now. You were on the honor system as to bag limits throughout the season.  No cheating please. A turkey tag for EVERYONE would be nice.  If the politicians insist on the over 65 giveaway that could easily be accomplished.  Now start working on the quota hunt redraws.  Preference points for them would help balance them out a little.  That is a whole different and confusing subject that would bore most from other states. I'm amazed they finally are going to the mandatory turkey reporting.  Never thought I'd see it.  L O N G overdue.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2022, 02:03:21 PM by joey46 »

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2022, 11:13:54 AM »
What I'm noticing is how many seem to be sitting back and not mentioning their state.  I'm currently looking at 5 states for a next season OOS.  I won't mention them either.  Tough times for some but if you do your homework I'm betting there are still plenty of opportunities out there.  Good luck to all. :turkey2:

Offline Prospector

« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2022, 07:11:12 AM »
Mississippi has the Harvest Reporting ( but no physical tagging). While I don’t think it’s a total waste of time I certainly hope my state agency is not spending too much time and money on it. The numbers are merely suggestive in the barest sense of the word as I suspect non reporting is rampant. Being suggestive and all makes a great way for hunters resident and non to see which counties the turkeys are being killed….if this is all they’re going to do, I’d rather the money and time be spent on quality research and action that ACTUALLY help the species….
In life and Turkey hunting: Give it a whirl. Everything works once and Nothing works everytime!

Offline El Pavo Grande

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2022, 12:03:52 AM »
While KS issues tags, they dont make you report anything for deer or turkey. I had some gents from AR tell me they love KS because they only need to buy one tag then print as many copies as they want...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

While the majority of Arkansas hunters are law abiding, there are too many that obviously give us a black eye when it comes to hunting.  Unfortunately, KS (especially in the past) provided the opportunity for outlaws to accumulate #s, which is what it was about for many.  I would support a “shoot, shovel, and shut up” approach with such a type.  Bury them deep, because we don’t want them back.   We now have printable licenses in Arkansas, so you can imagine how that goes.  It’s a poacher's dream scenario. 

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #29 on: August 01, 2022, 09:35:21 AM »
I would support a “shoot, shovel, and shut up” approach with such a type.  Bury them deep, because we don’t want them back.   

Ahhh,...wouldn't it be nice if the SS&S approach to poachers was allowed?!   :angel9: 

Wishes aside, the closest thing we have to it (that will not end up with someone spending the rest of their lives in prison) is for that majority of sportsmen (and the public, in general) that are honest and law-abiding to be vigilant, less accepting of poaching, and pro-active in working to eliminate it.  It starts from the ground up.  Changing that culture of acceptance, both in terms of local or regional attitudes, and also in terms of establishing effective deterrents/penalties for violators, are key elements.

On topic, physical tagging of game and mandatory reporting of harvest may nor curb the worst violators.  What they do, however, is give authorities mechanisms that help them apprehend the bad guys.  ...Not to mention the harvest management data that is gleaned from such requirements. That is at least a start...and it is by no means an insignificant one.  :icon_thumright: