OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Mandatory Reporting  (Read 3433 times)

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Mandatory Reporting
« on: June 11, 2022, 08:29:17 AM »
Many States require some type of tag or reporting for turkey kills.  Curious what states do or don't?  I hunt my home state, FL, it's in the DON'T column.  Traveled often to hunt OH, does have a full telecheck system as does KY.  On my recent trip to WY I was required to actually punch a tag if killing a Merriam but not report it. I do get almost weekly e mails from WY now and am betting I'll get an end of season survey at some point.
When this topic is discussed so many will mention that some don't bother to fill out surveys or report their kills even if required.  IMO they just poached one. 

As expected on 6/20 received an on line survey from WY.  Sorry to see it wasn't mandatory but did enter you in a prize drawing if you participated. 
« Last Edit: June 24, 2022, 10:05:18 AM by joey46 »

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Mandatory Reporting
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2022, 08:45:07 AM »
I have never understood why any state would not have some kind of "physical" tagging-requirement system.  New Mexico has had that in place since day one for pretty much every big game species and turkey. 

Here, upon harvest, a hunter must immediately attach a carcass tag to the turkey with the date being notched on the tag (there is another alternative called the E-Tag system that is an electronic report, but it still requires the hunter to physically tag the bird). 

There is also a mandatory online harvest report that hunters must fill out at some point in the year.  If a hunter does not fill out that report, they are not eligible to purchase another license in the future until they do, nor can they apply for any big game or turkey hunt for future seasons. 

The fact that every state does not have some sort of similar system in place just floors me...

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2022, 08:47:30 AM »
I agree with that last paragraph. We have to fill out and either call in or send in a tag. In the Fall you have to send in a spur (correction, the whole leg) which I hate the idea of. They are kind of confusing to be honest. Oh yes and you have to tag them as well.

Well here are the regs.

To submit your harvest report you will need the following information:
For All Species:

The 12-digit DOC # (phone-in reports) or the Customer ID # (internet reports) on your license privilege panel, carcass tag, or back tag
    Your date of birth (you will be asked for 2-digit month, then 2-digit day)
    Location of kill: County, Town, and Wildlife Management Unit
    Date of kill and hunting season
    Sex of the animal
    In addition, you will need:

Spring Turkey

Turkey's spur length (none, less than 1/2", 1/2" or longer, unknown)
    Turkey's beard length (less than 3", 3" but less than 7 1/2", 7 1/2" or longer, unknown)
    Turkey's weight to the nearest pound

Fall Turkey

Please save a leg from your turkey. You may be asked to submit a turkey leg for DEC to age and sex the turkey. Instructions will be provided.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Online Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2022, 08:49:47 AM »
So used to the PA system of attaching a physical tag at the site of the kill then reporting via website or mail within 5 days.

Florida was a complete shocker last year in that I got no tags with my license.  It's like it's the honor system to take only the right number of birds. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2022, 09:08:07 AM »
New Jersey has a tag system, then you call in to the state with the birds particulars. We used to have to physically take the bird to a mandatory checking station. There were plenty of them in the state. I think it was a mistake to go to phone in Turkey check-in. We are all seeing now that accurate harvest reporting will determine a path forward on handling Turkey populations. Would love to see the physical check-in system return.
“Solo hunter”

Offline Turkeybutt

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2022, 09:11:25 AM »
So used to the PA system of attaching a physical tag at the site of the kill then reporting via website or mail within 5 days.

Florida was a complete shocker last year in that I got no tags with my license.  It's like it's the honor system to take only the right number of birds.
I would say that in most states the harvest number each year (whether it is turkey's, deer etc.) is a "Guesstimate" at best. This is because you are on an honor system in some states and people will take advantage of that.
True in some states you have to fill out a tag and attach it to the deer or turkey.  Then within 5 days fill out a Harvest Report Card but people forget or just choose not to fill one out for whatever reason.

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2022, 09:38:48 AM »
Florida is going to have mandatory harvest reporting starting this fall:

https://myfwc.com/hunting/turkey/rules/

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2022, 09:41:22 AM »
Tennessee has had a tagging system for many years for turkey / deer etc ...

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2022, 09:57:49 AM »

About time.  I'll check the local forums just to read the crabbing about it.

Offline nativeks

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2022, 09:59:18 AM »
While KS issues tags, they dont make you report anything for deer or turkey. I had some gents from AR tell me they love KS because they only need to buy one tag then print as many copies as they want...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2022, 10:19:44 AM »
While KS issues tags, they dont make you report anything for deer or turkey. I had some gents from AR tell me they love KS because they only need to buy one tag then print as many copies as they want...

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Wouldn't hurt many feelings if you changed "gents from AR" to "poachers from AR".  They would probably feel insulted.

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2022, 10:37:13 AM »

Great!  Still many whining about the deer reporting but it seems to be working out.  Being able to do it by phone from the field a good thing and available in several states..  I'll check the local forums just to read the crabbing about it.

Online Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2022, 10:37:55 AM »
States should all look at Missouri’s system…simple and has solid requirements.  New Mexico is similar.

Some states I’ve hunted need help!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Zobo

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • Nitwit Elitist Whiner
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2022, 10:40:51 AM »
     I can't believe some states don't require tagging and reporting, reminds me of the ole Halloween candy bowl at the front door.
     Yes there will always be a certain percentage of scofflaws no matter what rules are in place but I would think game managers would want the data. Crazy.
Stand still, and consider the wonderous works of God  Job:37:14

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2022, 10:53:29 AM »
If a state doesn't have tagging or a form of harvest reporting, you can bet on politics as the reason why (not state wildlife officials).