OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Out Of State Regs-1 Bird  (Read 5302 times)

Offline turkeyfool

Out Of State Regs-1 Bird
« on: June 10, 2022, 09:30:17 AM »
Would you guys be cool seeing a 1 bird limit for out of staters? I live in NJ, but have never hunted here. I do 100% of my hunting out of state and I'd be totally fine seeing this. Just keep the tag/license around $100-150 and not $250 or $300 for 1 bird.

What do you think?

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Out Of State Regs-1 Bird
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2022, 09:47:27 AM »
Personally, I would be good with this,...under the circumstances that exist now in terms of declining turkey numbers and increasing hunting pressure.  A decade or two ago, I would probably have balked at it, but times have changed.   :icon_thumright:

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2022, 09:50:49 AM »
It would suit me to limit nonresidents to one bird.   Wouldn’t hurt my feelings to travel out of state and only have one tag.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Cowboy

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2022, 10:05:55 AM »
Count me in. I traveled to a state with a one bird limit this season instead of going with my brother to a state with a 3 bird limit. Had a good time anyways. 

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2022, 10:10:13 AM »
I hunt states every year with a single bird limit, non issue for me!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Online Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2022, 10:13:44 AM »
I have no turkey in the hunt, but i could go along with the one bird limit....

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2022, 10:26:26 AM »
I’d be fine with it. I seldom hang around long enough to try to kill two birds when I’m
on the road.

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2022, 10:42:56 AM »
100% good with it.  One of the reasons I picked the state I did for a western hunt last spring was the one bird reasonably priced tag.  Got one with a few days left and spent the rest of the time sightseeing and looking around for next season.  Getting one bird home on an aircraft was a chore.  Trying to get two or three wouldn't have worked for me.

Offline Remturkey

« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2022, 12:19:08 PM »
I usually two to three other states each Spring and this would not affect my decision at all.  I have never killed more than one bird out of state anyway.  I think with the current population issue it would be a change that could help

Offline ybuck

« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2022, 12:22:54 PM »
yes.
im not a great turkey hunter.....id be thrilled with getting "just 1"

Offline HookedonHooks

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • You gotta keep on keepin' on.
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2022, 12:24:14 PM »
I'm all for it. Forces those that want to keep killing to travel and support local economies.

Online Tom007

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • “Eastern Tail Chaser”
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2022, 12:28:50 PM »
I belong to a hunting club out of state. We are allowed 2 spring gobblers, and one fall Turkey. I’d rather see a 2 bird total limit, 2 in spring, none in fall, or one and one. I think that would be fair, and help the population recover.
“Solo hunter”

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 12:59:09 PM »
Pretty crazy to me how willingly we are now days to give up our hunting opportunities. If you look at the data, I'm willing to bet an extremely small percentage of non-resident hunters actually kill multiple birds in a given state. Especially on public lands. And saving a few birds from non-residents is going to do NOTHING at the landscape level to help populations. On small, localized areas it may could help with carryover (that is if another person doesn't kill that bird). But in the big picture, nada.

What it would also cause, is a chain reaction. We are currently seeing these chain reactions in regulations play out now. Many of us on this forum predicted this exact thing would happen. As one state implements non-resident/public land restrictions or reduces the bag limit, traveling turkey hunters focus elsewhere. Bama/Ga tighten down on public lands, more hunters head to TN. TN public lands get overwhelmed, they tighten down. We will see another shift in this pressure for 2023. The same thing will happen if states start going to 1 bird NR limits. Non-rez pressure will just inundate the next closest area with a multiple bird bag limit. When in reality, they won't kill multiple. It is more of a perception issue.

Before the social media/YouTube boom, (when turkey numbers still weren't doing so well in a lot of places) you'd never see a discussion like this get so much support. Once opportunity is taken away, you will likely never get it back. Regardless of how bird populations or hunter numbers are trending.

Regs like this would also affect non-resident landowners and leaseholders. On the bright side, I guess it could potentially lower turkey lease prices (I'm all for that!) and free them up for residents.

One thing I loved so much more about turkey hunting over deer hunting, was that it as an "everyman's game". No need for expensive leases, high price tags, or complicated draw systems. My oh my how quickly those days have ended! Just glad I got to experience the bountiful opportunities before social media, YouTube, and the commercialization of turkey hunting in general, all pissed in our Cheerios. You already need access to private land to hunt the season in its entirety in multiple states now (Alabama, Georgia) due to recent changes. South Carolina as well, but its been like that for a while. And we can brace for me. Turning into a rich man's game, fellas!
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 01:12:09 PM by deerhunt1988 »

Offline Roost 1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 01:12:24 PM »
Pretty crazy to me how willingly we are now days to give up our hunting opportunities. If you look at the data, I'm willing to bet an extremely small percentage of non-resident hunters actually kill multiple birds in a given state. Especially on public lands. And saving a few birds from non-residents is going to do NOTHING at the landscape level to help populations. On small, localized areas it may could help with carryover (that is if another person doesn't kill that bird). But in the big picture, nada.

Before the social media/YouTube boom, (when turkey numbers still weren't doing so well in a lot of places) you'd never see a discussion like this get so much support. Once opportunity is taken away, you will likely never get it back. Regardless of how bird populations or hunter numbers are trending.

Regs like this would also affect non-resident landowners and leaseholders. On the bright side, I guess it could potentially lower turkey lease prices (I'm all for that!) and free them up for residents.

One thing I loved so much more about turkey hunting over deer hunting, was that it as an "everyman's game". No need for expensive leases, high price tags, or complicated draw systems. My oh my how quickly those days have ended! Just glad I got to experience the bountiful opportunities before social media, YouTube, and the commercialization of turkey hunting in general, all pissed in our Cheerios. You already need access to private land to hunt the season in its entirety in multiple states now (Alabama, Georgia) due to recent changes. South Carolina as well, but its been like that for a while. And we can brace for me. Turning into a rich man's game, fellas!

If there wasn’t so many turkey hunters in general, no social media,  no YouTube, etc I’d agree with you 100%.  BUT there is…… who would of ever dreamed 20yrs ago so many guys would start turkey hunting not to mention travel to multiple states in one year.  People thought I was crazy 25yrs ago when I was hunting 2 or 3 states per year. 
I definitely miss the simpler times. 

Offline West Augusta

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • West By God Virginia
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2022, 01:22:39 PM »
Ohio dropped to one bird but kept the price over $200.  I didn't hunt there this year.

Sent from my SM-G996U1 using Tapatalk

No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.