Main Menu

Looks like Nebraska may be changing some turkey regs

Started by Treerooster, June 09, 2022, 02:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MO_HUNTER

Tail Feathers

Love to hunt the King of Spring!

quavers59

Another State dropping down to 2 Spring Turkeys from 3. Step in the right direction.

joey46

All good steps.  A reporting system is almost a " must do " for all states now.

Turkeyman

I don't disagree in lowering bag limits but it will be interesting to see the potential decrease in NR license sales for various states when a hunter has a reduced bag limit. Now...if these states reduced their cost of a NR turkey license in half due to, say, going from a 2 bird limit to 1 bird limit that would be different...but I don't see that happening. Look at a purely hypothetical situation...if you hunted state "A" with a 5 bird limit for $500 would you still pay $500 for a 1 bird limit in said state?

Guskie

Quote from: Turkeyman on June 09, 2022, 03:31:22 PM
I don't disagree in lowering bag limits but it will be interesting to see the potential decrease in NR license sales for various states when a hunter has a reduced bag limit. Now...if these states reduced their cost of a NR turkey license in half due to, say, going from a 2 bird limit to 1 bird limit that would be different...but I don't see that happening. Look at a purely hypothetical situation...if you hunted state "A" with a 5 bird limit for $500 would you still pay $500 for a 1 bird limit in said state?

Yes, I would still pay the price - if I enjoyed visiting and hunting the state. I typically hunt with my wife and we generally only take 1 gobbler a piece from a state.

With that said. In NE's hay-day we used to shoot multiple gobblers apiece there for many years. We had some great times there

2flyfish4

Personally, decreasing the limit or not, all states should increase license cost substantially at minimum for non residents. Im talking double or triple the current cost.

Cowboy

Quote from: 2flyfish4 on June 09, 2022, 05:19:00 PM

Personally, decreasing the limit or not, all states should increase license cost substantially at minimum for non residents. Im talking double or triple the current cost.
Explain the reasoning for this statement on tripling NR cost. Not that I'm against it but why?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Dtrkyman

Most states charge quite the premium to hunt anything.  Thought it was the United states?

Nebraska needs to change the tag situation, simply printing a tag out at home makes it awful easy on the dishonest folks!

Better late than never on the limit change, the first year I hunted Nebraska was a 2 bird limit, went to three the next spring, that was a while ago! 

the Ward

And when non residents stop buying licenses because the price got too high, guess who the state will pass the costs on to? Be careful what you wish for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

silvestris

Poor hunters may have to cancel their travel plans if they put these suggestions in place.  I knew the Lords would get their way if people failed to keep their mouths concerning the rapture they received from turkey hunting.
"[T]he changing environment will someday be totally and irrevocably unsuitable for the wild turkey.  Unless mankind precedes the birds in extinction, we probably will not be hunting turkeys for too much longer."  Ken Morgan, "Turkey Hunting, A One Man Game

arkrem870

I'd bet  the next 5-10 years turkey hunting is going to get more and more complicated. Loose lips sink ships. And in this case ...... sink public turkey hunting opportunity. Glad I got 30 years of hunting and 20 years of traveling in before the internet / YouTube wrecked this sport. 

2flyfish4

Quote from: Cowboy on June 09, 2022, 05:48:17 PM

Explain the reasoning for this statement on tripling NR cost. Not that I'm against it but why?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I have many thoughts on this. First $200-$300 is nothing these days. Yes I get its alot of money, but in reality it doesn't go very far. Seeing the changes we need to see so that turkey populations can stabilize and hopefully reverse and start increasing takes resources. While we get a handle on what is going on and what needs to be done, unfortunately we need to reduce harvest. Increasing license cost will help give us the resources and help reduce harvest. The states need to do this in unionson, if not the states that have low license cost and high bag limits will be flooded with hunters, increasing that states harvest and quickly diminishing turkey populations.

It sucks, I get that it will be an extra expense. I dont want to exclude anyone. The reality is, no one hunts because its an economical way to out meat on the table. I could eat wagu every week for what I spend on hunting every year. I think it is time for us to put our money where our mouths are. My only concern is I have no confidence the state will or does use out money responsibly.

2flyfish4

I would like to add this. Maybe for the first tag keep it reasonable and or at current rates. For the second or 3rd tag though, maybe thats where the state substationally increases the cost. Like make it $400+.

This way there is no discrimination against youth, seniors, or other low/fixed income individuals and everyone can participate. Then the state can capitalize on someone who has to shoot more than 1 bird and that extra revenue can be used for studies, habitat, and projects.

Ultimately, I think we have to put our egos aside and put the bird first. It would be different if populations were at all time highs, but in alot of areas there not. 1 bird is plenty, and for the ones that it's not, put up the money.

Which brings me to another question, what is a mature tom worth to you?